Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Am I odd?

On 26 Jul 2012 at 2:18pm Louise wrote:
I have lived in Lewes all my life (40 years). I got my degree and PhD at Sussex University and have had jobs (well paid science jobs) in Sussex ever since. I have therefore never needed (or wanted) to move away from my family and home town. I lived at home while at university (and therefore had no debts when I left). I bought a house in Lewes when I got my first job.
My question is does this make me odd? Most people in my class at school have moved away etc. I'm sure most of the people I work with think I am somehow deficient because of my lack of 'mobility'.

On 26 Jul 2012 at 2:29pm Rookie wrote:
What does it matter what other people think? I have lived in Lewes for all but 3 work committed years of my life and consider myself fortunate to have been brought up and now living in "Probably the best place in Sussex for people to live" as it says on the home page of this site.
Cue the flak......

On 26 Jul 2012 at 3:14pm Lucky Jim wrote:
Not odd - just lucky to be born here and clever/diligent enough to secure a decent life.
Although there is something to be said of 'travel broadens the mind'.

On 26 Jul 2012 at 3:48pm Louise wrote:
Thanks Rookie and Lucky Jim...yeah sure travel is enjoyable...nice to come home though

On 26 Jul 2012 at 4:54pm Phaedra Isabella wrote:
Not odd at all. Good for you I say, and well done on your successes

On 26 Jul 2012 at 6:39pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Apart from three years at uni, I've lived in Lewes all my life. It's taken me long enough but I finally scraped together enough money to buy a house and although the same amount of cash would have bought a house twice the size in Uckfield or Eastbourne, I'd only ever really want to live in Lewes.

On 26 Jul 2012 at 6:54pm troll wrote:
you have a phd. the oddest thing about you is that you somehow felt the need to post the question you did on here. if this is your greatest worry you're very lucky indeed.

On 26 Jul 2012 at 9:03pm South Malling wrote:
I have lived in Lewes all my life (40 years). I studied here and have had jobs in Sussex ever since. I too have never needed (or wanted) to move away from my family and home town. Nothing odd about it - some people move away and some don't. Do what makes you happy (I have).

On 26 Jul 2012 at 9:30pm Rookie wrote:
Most of my school friends from the 70's still live in Lewes too.

On 26 Jul 2012 at 11:33pm the old mayor wrote:
Is this why Lewes is so insular !!

On 27 Jul 2012 at 3:21am expat two wrote:
Lewes isn't insular, but it was.
The Weald clay, in the days before sealed roads, was an absolute bugger to get through either on foot or horseback, it served as a formidable physical barrier and effectively insulated the deep south east from the rest of the country.
Lewes thus spent much of its history with closer ties to France than London. This is where the 'won't be druv' independent spirit was born. Obviously, a couple of centuries of tarmac and railways has changed that a bit, but how long does it take for a meme to disappear and we homogenise with the rest of the country. How many generations before we stop thinking in the same terms as those who raise us?
On 27 Jul 2012 at 8:22am The Champion of Capua wrote:
The fact that you have to flaunt your very privileged life on the Internet makes you very sad, but not odd. There's plenty like you about dear
On 27 Jul 2012 at 8:22am The Champion of Capua wrote:
The fact that you have to flaunt your very privileged life on the Internet makes you very sad, but not odd. There's plenty like you about dear

On 27 Jul 2012 at 9:40am Kettle wrote:
Lewes is where I want to live now but I needed to try other things. Didn't you ever feel curious? I think it's quite natural for young people to want to move away, even if they come back in the end.

On 27 Jul 2012 at 10:36am GhostBike wrote:
Not odd. I grew up in a small town, not dissimilar from Lewes, but much more narrow-minded and insular (yes, Lewes is not these things, I'm afraid, and if you think it is you have spent too much time in London or Brighton). I couldn't wait to get out of there. I've lived in London, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Sydney, New York and Stockholm. I've glad I've travelled as much as I have, but I do understand why if you lived in a place as lovely as Lewes you might not want to leave. (I do find it a bit odd though that you might not want to explore the wider world, if only for a year or two but hey ho.)

On 27 Jul 2012 at 11:26am Pete wrote:
Good for you Louise

On 27 Jul 2012 at 11:41am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I think people who've stayed in Lewes all their lives have a bit of a different attitude from Lewesians who've moved away and come back. They seem a bit more open-minded to me.
Mind you, I come from Croydon. People who grew up there and never left are really strange!
On 27 Jul 2012 at 6:18pm Trevor wrote:
Not odd but very boring and needy, you're a forty year old woman - time to grow up and stop banging on about your PHD ( so what ) ! I have 8 CSE's but at least I have experienced a bit of life outside of my home town.
Is this the only thing you worry about?
On 28 Jul 2012 at 1:01pm Caroline wrote:
They give CSEs away for just being able to fart Trevor...........Louise was being honest and your jealous reaction to her qualifications is more boring and more needy actually. I imagine you like barbecues, cheap lager and a weekly lottery ticket (all naff)

On 28 Jul 2012 at 6:26pm Trevor wrote:
Caroline, you couldn't be more wrong. thanks for the laugh though.

On 29 Jul 2012 at 9:55am Caroline wrote:
Pop another sausage on trev..........

On 31 Jul 2012 at 12:06pm brixtonbelle wrote:
what a horrible snobbish reaction Caroline. I hope I don't know you.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Dripping Pan View 34:132
Dripping Pan View

What will channel 4 news be without him and his colourful ties? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington