Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Alternative Bonfire Night

On 15 Oct 2007 at 3:35pm OLIVER wrote:
Don't bother to read this thread if you are one of the "Druvvers" or are one of the other illiterate yobbos who get on this forum, because you won't be interested.
If you followed the previous thread about the Cliffe programme, you will know that we have decided to do something on Bonfire Night more in tune with we "incomers", that will not involve drunken banger throwing or the burning of any religious leaders in effigy!
After a bit of research, I have been able to get Baxters Field for the evening of 5th November & Toby is all set to give us an amazing "Lazer & Light Spectacular"! We will not be allowed to have a fire & I have promised that there will be no loud noises that will disturb the local residents & their pets.
I think we should hold a meeting this week to discuss any ideas that like-minded folk might have. I await your suggestions on time & place, via this message board.

On 15 Oct 2007 at 3:50pm Geoff wrote:
Not allowed a FIRE!!. But that is the heart of a good bonfire night and firework display. The bonfire should be stacked with half of Lewes's furniture. Now that would be a sight. And of course a wickerman at the centre. Straws should be the method of picking the person to go inside. Amongest others, I shall of course volunteer to take a straw and see who choses the short one. If it be me, way it goes.
With your lazer light and firework display Oliver and my bonfire and wickerman, I'm confident it will quickly become far more popular than the current Lewes event.

On 15 Oct 2007 at 5:24pm Landport loony wrote:
Good luck with your project Oliver but i can't see it taking off. People come to Lewes to see fireworks, lots of wonderful torchlit processions and marching bands etc...not a laser show. You'd be better off doing it in mid summer with a nice BBQ and a bar full of Harveys
Just my humble opinion
LL

On 15 Oct 2007 at 5:27pm Lavinia wrote:
I think Oliver's proposal is a truly wonderful idea ? count me in!
My friend shall be happy to allow a meeting at his Art Gallery, but I'm not too sure if he has any availability this week (I'll chase).
The laser and light show shall have a fantastically small carbon footprint ? any chance we can get the Greens to endorse the show?

On 15 Oct 2007 at 5:34pm Damp Squib wrote:
What a splendid idea Oliver. Presumably you have got the relevant insurances, necessary road closures, police liaison, safety officers, first aid points, ambulance support, access and emergency exits suitable for your expected audience, adequate lighting for said access/exits etc... etc.... If not, perhaps you could have a word with the bonfire societies who are well versed in all of the above and many more aspects of event management. Oh and I'm sure you have thought of a way to stop anyone coming to your (non)event getting drunk or letting off their own fireworks !.
As for illiterate yobbos as you call them, thats a great criticism coming from someone who can't spell laser !!
Hope you have a nice evening.

On 15 Oct 2007 at 6:25pm Smiler wrote:
It take all sorts I suppose, but the chances of stopping drunken revellers from turning up with bangers is, I suspect, fairly slim.
I wish you luck it will add another dimension to Bonfire.
I don't think starting your thread calling the born and bred of Lewes 'illiterate yobbos' is very well advised though.

On 15 Oct 2007 at 7:31pm me wrote:
I'm sure the police will be well chuffed with the prospect of having to police your rather lame attempt at an anti-bonfire protest.

On 15 Oct 2007 at 7:35pm me wrote:
If by the slimmest of chances is does go ahead perhaps you should become the 8th bonfire society of lewes. Step forward the "down from london bonfire society"

On 15 Oct 2007 at 8:10pm For The Record wrote:
I think it's a silly idea!

On 16 Oct 2007 at 10:05am The Super K wrote:
Its a shame your trying to do this on your own oliver. Having witnessed a firework and Light display at Disney 16 years ago the lasers on the smoke etc, its the one thing I've always felt the Societies have lacked in the display.
However if you think this is a suitable alternative to the Lewes Bonfire, be aware we will fight tooth and nail against your Health and Safety Claptrap. Leave Lewes Bonfire Alone.

On 16 Oct 2007 at 11:03am Amethyst wrote:
I think this is a wonderful idea and in an excellent position. All the public from the High Street can just walk down to Baxters Field via Irelands Lane and see your show. No muddy fields to stand in, no chance of a spark burning you, no dark and shady lanes (except for the ones the locals know). You could also have a word with the local churches who had a Christian procession a few years ago in the afternoon (it only happened the once) and they may be interested in joining you. The only stipulation I would have is that people leave via the High Street and make sure they avoid Bonfire Prayers as they may find this offensive and this is certainly not for outsiders.
I wish you luck and hope that it helps alleviate the problems of overcrowding the Societies have at their firesites and around town. It will also stop people following the United procession. You could also have a "whip round" after the show, like the Societies do, and give that money to charity - have a word with the Societies to find out which charities they are giving to this year. Don't forget to contact St Johns and the police, ambulance, fire services and council will need to be informed. The Safety Group also print signs for you to put up around the town leading people to your site (my Society dont use ours so you can have them if you wish). Oh and a risk assessment will be needed - best thing to do is ask the Bonfire Societies how it is done - Oh but being illiterrate drunken yobbo banger throwing Druvvers we wont be able to understand you politically correct cultured types.
I hope this is of help and I will go back to dragging my knuckles on the ground - all these big words is making me brain ache!Ooh Arrrrh

On 16 Oct 2007 at 3:26pm Geoff wrote:
Any thoughts on my wickerman idea?

On 16 Oct 2007 at 3:53pm Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
Bloody marvellous idea Geoff. Have always thought a wicker man would go down well. Need to be careful who goes in it though as some of these 'incomers' are so so full of sh*t that the methane produced might cause a dangerous explosion !

On 16 Oct 2007 at 3:59pm Mrs Sceptic wrote:
Why Wicker Man? Cant we have a Wicker anyone? I could think of a few people,but i dont want to upset anyone....

On 16 Oct 2007 at 4:09pm Lavinia wrote:
The Nouveau Riche would not dream of burning wicker!

On 16 Oct 2007 at 4:19pm Mrs Sceptic wrote:
We could fill it full of parking Wardens....

On 16 Oct 2007 at 4:20pm Mrs Sceptic wrote:
We could fill it full of parking wardens.....

On 16 Oct 2007 at 4:57pm Smiler wrote:
Oliver?... Oliver, where are you?

On 16 Oct 2007 at 5:06pm Its Not Rocket Science wrote:
Considering the little he knows (or cares) about English traditions, he is probably frantically trying to get hold of the BBC to warn Alan Whicker of our plans !

On 16 Oct 2007 at 10:18pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Alternative bonfire? Nooooooooooooooooooo!
What type of tree-hugging, vegetarian/vegan, dolphin-loving, ufo-believing, bicycle-riding. modern-parent, talking nonsense type of person is moving into this town?

On 17 Oct 2007 at 6:57pm For The Record wrote:
Spinster,
I think you have answered your own question!

On 18 Oct 2007 at 12:02am Pikelet wrote:
The ironic light appears to be dawning...

On 18 Oct 2007 at 12:17am zola wrote:
'Do you understand Irony Baldrick?' asked Blackadder...,'Yes Sire', came the reply,'It's between Bronzy and Silvery'....I dont do irony,just dont understand it.I like farts and people falling over and silly stuff.But im learning....It will be interesting on Saturday night to whoever gets to the Ellie.Im going to sit in a corner and watch....i'll be too scared to reveal myself...Although you are such a nice lot,u scare me a bit....

On 18 Oct 2007 at 10:38am The Super K wrote:
You'll have to get there early to be sitting anywhere in the elle Zola, unless you sit under the tv in the corner. But then you'll get paranoid that everyones looking at you!

On 11 Nov 2007 at 12:06pm xztheericzx wrote:
i'm eric. joining a couple boards and looking
forward to participating. hehe unless i get
too distracted!

eric

On 16 Dec 2007 at 10:10am oOgerryOo wrote:
Hey,
I'm oOgerryOo.

Just saying hey - I'm new.

On 22 Dec 2007 at 3:53pm aABeckerkoo wrote:
Hi

Just stopping in to say hi to y'all as a new member.

Aaron

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pells Postcard 106:143
Pells Postcard

I'm very happy for you then. How are you going to use it? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell