Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Allotments available

On 30 Oct 2014 at 6:35pm The Allotment Shed wrote:
Hi
There are a couple of allotment plots available at Earwig Corner. If you fancy growing some healthy crops then drop me an email and I'll pass on some more info.
We are a privately run site that is not on LDC list of sites. The rates are very reasonable plots are waiting.
On 30 Oct 2014 at 7:08pm the kronic wrote:
What's your email address
On 30 Oct 2014 at 7:11pm The Allotment Shed wrote:
info@theallotmentshed.co.uk
Sorry, I should have posted that DOH!!

On 30 Oct 2014 at 7:18pm john wrote:
The adjoining field used to be sprayed - not sure of what the current situation is.....
On 30 Oct 2014 at 7:28pm Border Control wrote:
privately owned eh ? That's why it looks like a shanty town !
On 30 Oct 2014 at 7:57pm the kronic wrote:
hahaha, heard rumours it was a complete shambles up there
On 30 Oct 2014 at 9:09pm The Allotment Shed wrote:
Shambles? The reason for the original post was to get interested people to take on a plot. There are a few plots that need some tlc but in general, the site is pretty decent compared to other sites that I could mention.
Constructive criticism is always a nice response from people that have something worth listening too, eh?
There is a long waiting list on LDC but we are letting people know that there is an alternative.
Thanks
On 30 Oct 2014 at 9:48pm Lewes Man wrote:
The Allotment Shed;
Kronic means Weed (of the marijuana type) in Aussie land - Border Control means UKIP in England. Ignore the trolls . I am pretty sure they are just grumpy old men.
Bet Kronic is green fingered, though!
On 2 Nov 2014 at 3:01pm green fingers wrote:
there are also lots of unused plots at the private site behind Wheatsheaf gardens, although I don't know who owns them.. Possibly Sussex wildlife trust..?
On 2 Nov 2014 at 3:14pm townie wrote:
Every time i drive past the earwig corner allotments, the grass is taller than the crops and the fences. Looks like a bloody disaster over there !!!!
On 4 Nov 2014 at 10:15am Depressed Gardener wrote:
It's not the best spot for an allotment. Busy roads each side and not well protected from vandals/thieves. I must admit that it is not a pretty looking site either! BUT... I admire anyone who gets off their backside to grow their own veg, and as the original poster said at least they have spare plots to offer. Most people die of old age before getting a LDC plot.

On 4 Nov 2014 at 4:41pm Allotmenter wrote:
Why are there so many plots spare ? I've heard that the place is run very badly and people are giving up in their droves. let's face it, most places have a 10 year waiting list....why hasn't malling ?
On 4 Nov 2014 at 5:49pm belladonna wrote:
We have a plot at Earwig Corner. I think families are put off by the busy roads, and it is a bit noisy and overrun by rabbits, so you need to invest in protecting your plot with proper fencing. There's a high turnover so plots regularly come up - people take them on thinking they will be up there a lot, but then the effort of getting there and the reality of the hard work involved sees off quite a few. Plots can become a bit untended whilst waiting for new plot holders.
But, once you have got your plot in some order you can start to let it tick over and enjoy the process of growing your own. It's incredibly satisfying to go up for a couple of hours a week, more in high season, potter around and then watch the sun go down over black cap and the Ouse valley.
The allotments are what the plot holders make it - there's a period of transition going on at the moment with new officers being elected, but its not the chaos some are trying to portray on here!

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Portal 74:132
Lewes Portal

Right, to be clear. Iíve got nothing but empathy for those struggling among us. It just hit me the other day how many more... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine