Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Aldi

On 27 Nov 2012 at 4:27pm happy shopper wrote:
I went in there earlier. 3 minutes shopping for 4 items and 10 minutes queuing up to get out. 2 checkouts open. One of the cashiers ringing constantly for assistance and 3 colleagues standing chatting by the cat food completely ignoring the bell. Rubbish service. Back to Tesco for me.
On 27 Nov 2012 at 5:41pm p.c wrote:
well last week i went in to tesco and had a queue .I Fine tesco just as bad up to asda for me . p.s tesco over price goods
On 27 Nov 2012 at 6:45pm Aldi lover. wrote:
That's rare...They are always really good at opening more checkouts as a rule.
On 27 Nov 2012 at 7:24pm Cllr Donna Edmunds wrote:
I've never seen them open new lanes, but last time I was there I saved over a tenner compared to Tescos (actually came back and looked up all the prices online!) so it all depends on how much you want to save the pennies.
On 27 Nov 2012 at 7:46pm Realist wrote:
I am an Aldi convert (always the most devout believers) No Tesco-type phoney offers, and no Waitrose-style managers wandering about with their noses in the air, whilst their poor checkout staff attempt to cope with the customers. Aldi offer genuine low prices and very hardworking staff.
On 27 Nov 2012 at 8:41pm the old mayor wrote:
The only thing worse than cheap shoes is cheap food !! I mean low quality, you are what you eat !!
On 27 Nov 2012 at 8:55pm Jack the lad wrote:
Agree , you get what you pay !!
On 27 Nov 2012 at 10:22pm Mme B wrote:
I have bought many staple products from both Aldi and Lidl and have not found any difference in quality in what I have bought, compared to other stores such as Waitrose and Tesco, though they were certainly cheaper.
On 27 Nov 2012 at 10:24pm Rookie wrote:
I quite like Aldi for some things. Some of their food is particularly low quality though (don't try their chicken kievs) and the queuing to get out can be be quite lengthy. I'm no Tesco fan (I shop at Asda mostly) but I like the speed of the self service.
On 27 Nov 2012 at 10:34pm Ballsack Bill wrote:
poo... that is all
On 27 Nov 2012 at 11:07pm TDA wrote:
We found out online we had over £70 of unspent Tesco Clubcard vouchers.
We're quadrupling them into vouchers for restaurants like Cafe Rouge and Pizza Express - ie £15 of vouchers becomes £60 to spend on a night out. Not bad, especially for a tightwad like me.
On 27 Nov 2012 at 11:30pm Gary wrote:
I tell you people, never buy S**T food, S**T booze & S**T fags.
Harrods Rule!
On 28 Nov 2012 at 12:21pm Annie wrote:
Be careful what you buy in Aldi - the branded goods are not always cheaper. I bought a jar of Nutella in there for £1.85 and it was only £1.50 in Tesco and Waitrose.
On 28 Nov 2012 at 1:36pm I Don't Work in Aldi wrote:
I love Aldi and the only thing we have bought in there that was not very nice was a gammon. I recommend the olives and mince pies at the moment. It's particularly busy at the moment as they have sent out lots of money off vouchers.
On 28 Nov 2012 at 2:47pm Southover Queen wrote:
They have sent out lots of money off vouchers - I just got £6 off my shopping!

Their charcuterie (cooked hams etc) are pretty good, particularly the German produce (not surprising, given their origins). Their fresh orange juice is terrific, the mango and passionfruit smoothie is excellent and their greek yoghurts really good too.

I think their fresh fruit and veg are unbeatable. For instance, a bag of conference pairs in Sainsbury's yesterday was £1.50 (reduced from £2); in Aldi the exact same bag was 80p. Sweet romano peppers are about half the price of the same quality in Waitrose. Last week I made a shepherd's pie to feed four for less than £4 using their minced lamb, onions, celery, carrots, Maris Piper potatoes, baby plum toms and peppers. It was really nice and would have cost about double even in Tesco.

The staff are friendly, they do try to keep down the queues and in general I think Aldi is definitely A Good Thing. It seems Which readers agree: it was voted Best Supermarket last year.

On 28 Nov 2012 at 4:30pm Kettle wrote:
I wouldn't buy their processed food. Tried the pasta sauce and it was nasty - but I love Aldi. Fruit and veg good - dried pasta same quality as anywhere else but cheaper. I've had a couple of free range chickens from there that were very tasty. Also washing powder etc very good value - and let's face it, it's all the same stuff in different packages.
Own brand face cream not bad either. I think.
On 29 Nov 2012 at 10:14am Scooby wrote:
Friendly staff? Hmmmm. I was in there one evening a full 5 minutes before closing and one of the staff kept ushering me towards the checkout. Annoying staff more like.
On 30 Nov 2012 at 7:11am Pope wrote:
Here we go again whine whine whine. What is it this time, FOOD! Think yourselves lucky that you can afford to eat, unlike a lot of countries throughout the world where the kids would just love the scraps you throw in your bin. So spare them a thought this Christmas when you are cramming all that food down your throat and moaning about how long you were in the queue to get it.
On 30 Nov 2012 at 9:49am UK Resident wrote:
Yes, we are lucky to live in the UK, but that doesn't mean we should be satisfied with being sold cr@p! What a stupid thing to say.
On 30 Nov 2012 at 9:55am Jack Cohen wrote:
Aldi is full of substandard food and goods. Tesco for me every time.

On 30 Nov 2012 at 11:02am Yank wrote:
UK Resident wrote: Yes, we are lucky to live in the UK...

Well, I suppose we are, compared to living in Somalia. But why exactly do you think anyone is luckier to live in the UK than any other advanced country?

On 30 Nov 2012 at 1:10pm UK Resident wrote:
I am sorry Yank?? I said "Yes, we are lucky to live in the UK" in response to the preceding post. I am fairly certain that this statement does not include any reference or comparison to any other advanced countries (Although, anyone from an advanced English speaking country would understand this!)
On 30 Nov 2012 at 3:32pm pope wrote:
Yes UK RESIDENT you are lucky to live in the UK because with an attitude like yours no other country would put up with you. And in regards to being sold cr@p you have a choice " take it or leave it ".

On 30 Nov 2012 at 4:57pm Roly Mo wrote:
Substandard crap? Everything we have bought has been fantastic. Are you sure you're in the right shop?

On 30 Nov 2012 at 5:17pm UK Resident wrote:
Yes Pope, we are lucky to live in the UK, and to have a choice of supermarkets. That is exactly the point. This thread is about the food choices available in Lewes, not about starving children in third world countries. Terrible as their plight might be, it has nothing to do with this discussion or my post, so why try to make it about that? Furthermore, my reply to Yank was fairly straightforward. He/She seems to have not only failed to understand my comment, but has actually gone one step further and taken offence to something I DIDN'T EVEN SAY! I am sure I could get terribly offended about all sorts of things that you haven't said, but clearly that would be equally stupid.
They probably don't have the same internet capability in Somalia either, but does that mean we should not feel able to complain if our broadband supplier in Lewes is no good? No, of course it doesn't, so why on earth shouldn't people complain about Aldi. If people can't be bothered to read these posts properly before leaping in with an irrelevant criticism then it is hardly my fault, is it?

On 30 Nov 2012 at 6:03pm Pope wrote:
UK RESIDENT this thread started off discussing the quality of service in Aldi and not about the food choices available in Lewes so I suggest you read these posts properly before throwing your toys out of the pram. In regards to you saying we should not be sold cr@p that was a stupid thing to say and if you could see the crowd in there today you would realise that you are in the minority.

On 30 Nov 2012 at 7:12pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Love aldi - good for fresh food, cereals, bread, nuts, washing powder, milk and dairy.
Processed foods and ready meals not to my taste, but then neither are Waitrose.

Apparently there are some good booze deals in lidl at the mo - anyone tell me where the nearest one is ?

The answer for everyone, is to shop around all the supermarkets and small shops for the best deals and quality - it will never all be found under one roof.

On 30 Nov 2012 at 8:47pm Pope wrote:
Hi Brixtonbelle, the nearest Lidi is Newhaven, over the road from Sainsburys which is another good place to shop.

On 30 Nov 2012 at 8:52pm Southover Queen wrote:
Or if it is found under one roof you'll pay dearly for the privilege! I tend to steer clear of most of Aldi's processed food or ready meals, but their luxury fish pie is excellent.

There are two Lidls within easy reach: one in East Brighton, near the hospital, and one in Newhaven in the smaller industrial estate just west of the B&Q.

On 1 Dec 2012 at 8:44am Leigh Voff wrote:
After reading some of the ill informed ignorant negative comments on here about quality of food from Aldi, I suggest those posters who formulate such opinions remove themselves from their sordid little grief holes, get out into the world to experience something positive and try and live a little bit. Hmm, that sounds like a tag line...

On 3 Dec 2012 at 2:01pm UK Resident wrote:
@Pope. If you read through this thread yourself before making that remark you would have seen that the majority of posts preceding mine were discussing the quality/prices of food available in different supermarkets. I would therefore maintain that the majority of the discussion was indeed on this subject.

Regardless of this, I have once again had words put into my mouth, this time by you. What I said was "that doesn't mean we should be satisfied with being sold cr@p". Can you see any reference to any particular supermarket anywhere in that sentence? No, nor can I. So, it would seem that the implication that it is specifically Aldi that sell cr@p is actually being made (or more correctly imagined) by you. The point is, we should not be satisfied with being sold cr@p whoever is selling it, and certainly the availability of choices in third world countries is irrelevant in the context of a discussion about Lewes supermarkets. That sort of argument is on a par with other comments that you see on here, such as, 'that's what the Nazis tried to do or 'why don't you try living in North Korea then'. To be honest, resorting to those sorts of comments is a really sign of not having a valid argument to make in any case, which is why I said it was a stupid thing to say.

On 3 Dec 2012 at 5:25pm Pope wrote:
Apart from not being sold cr@p, the same goes for your post we should not read cr@p. Anyway have a nice Christmas and I hope all the food is to your liking.
On 3 Dec 2012 at 6:35pm Teacher wrote:
I entirely agree with Pope UKResident, the original post started off complaining about the service and just because others started complaining about the food does not mean you have to be one of the sheep. A lot of posts start off with one subject and end up discussing something entirely irrevelant to the original post. It's a bit like chinese whispers.

On 3 Dec 2012 at 10:30pm UK Resident wrote:
Yeah whatever Pope. You saw the words 'cr@p food' and immediately assumed I meant Aldi. Says more about you than me really. I, on the other hand, have nothing against Aldi, and will be shopping there tomorrow in fact.

Meanwhile I would point out to Teacher that my original comment was a direct reply to what Pope said in the prededing post. How, therefore, can it be irrelevent and 'off thread' when I am responding to a post already there? In any case, discussions evolve, subjects broaden, that's what makes life interesting. I notice that neither Pope's post to which I replied, or your comments above, have got any more to do with the original post of this thread than mine, so if you are going to criticise me, at least try not to be so hypocritical!

On 4 Dec 2012 at 8:26am Pope wrote:
Thankyou Teacher for agreeing with me and I am sorry for the response Uk resident aimed at you. It is obvious he or she is a miserable git and really deserve our sympathy and I hope you don't find this hypocritical Uk resident but I Sincerly wish you a merry Christmas and lets agree to disagree.

On 4 Dec 2012 at 11:41am UK Resident wrote:
I think we probably do agree about Aldi, Pope. There is nothing wrong with it, or at least it is as good or bad as any other supermarket, and I have not at any point said anything in my posts to the contrary.

Trouble is you insist on reading things into my posts that are not there, and then jumping to the wrong conclusions. My comment was not aimed at any specific supermarket, I was simply stating, as you in fact said yourself, we are lucky to live in the UK, however suggesting that we should be happy to be sold substandard goods because people in other parts of the world don't have the same choices is plainly ridiculous. Call me a miserable git if you like, but trading personal insults is the way people argue in the playground. Ask Teacher.

On 4 Dec 2012 at 12:54pm pope wrote:
Cant stop too long UK resident my playtime is nearly over and the teacher is getting ready to ring the bell, I never once said we should be happy to be sold sub standard goods, I said you have a choice take it or leave it. Myself I leave it after all there are plenty of food shops around. Sorry about my sarcasam ( and my spelling ) and I still wish you a merry christmas.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Vikings lewes 127:132
Vikings lewes

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the walk along the ouse to Hamsey church, the view from the top of the Castle, Pells pool, the antique shops and boot fair, the lion in the window of the 15c bookshop, keere street
BrixtonBelle