Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Aggressive beggar

On 5 Aug 2018 at 10:58am Passer by wrote:
Accidentally kicked a beggars coin on cliffe High Street Bridge earlier today. He launches into a load of abuse saying why don’t I spit on him too, and calling me middle class twat etc. I said it was an accident and to sort himself out. Seen him around before, very chatty, does little ‘magic’ tricks and drones on about his divorce if given enough time.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 11:01am Beggars belief wrote:
As he asked you did you do as you were told and spit on him?
On 5 Aug 2018 at 11:06am Green Sleeves wrote:
Are all towns this obsessed with the homeless/beggars? Its not like there is a massive influx of them, as many people now know them by first names (or by trait), maybe half a dozen of them, among 17k+ residents as well as thousands more tourists/visitors. Be grateful for what you have and where you live.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 11:31am Earl of Lewess wrote:
@Green Sleeves - I think the point is that for many years, we didn't have any beggars; the nearest thing was the odd tuneless busker on the bridge. People just want to be able to return to the way things were, but of course this can't be done unless there is a combination of improved social care and a more proactive police force - the carrot and stick, in other words. With ESCC cutting their budgets down to the bare minimum, it's unlikely that things are going to change, so perhaps the answer is for us to put our hands in our pockets and donate to any local charity that's trying to address this problem. That would be more constructive than giving money to the beggars or just ignoring them and hoping they'll go away.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 11:48am Green Sleeves wrote:
@ EOL - this is a national issue, and since 2010 the rise in homelessness has increased dramatically as I'm sure you well know. I'm not saying we should ignore them and they'll go away, but instead lets cast our votes for leaders and parties that would more likely resolve these issues, rather than exacerbate them.

I understand people like to live in the past, as nostalgia tends to give that impression of the "good old days" for some people despite it often falling short of reality, but was there nothing to complain about back then even with fewer beggars? I think many people have been lusting after the "good old days" since time immemorial, despite standards of living in general increasing decade after decade. Are humans EVER content? Probably not....
On 5 Aug 2018 at 12:38pm Just saying... wrote:
As we all know, some beggars are homeless through no fault of their own. But I wonder what percentage of beggars are in that position entirely through their own fault. Why should we be expected to tolerate them?
On 5 Aug 2018 at 1:08pm Green Sleeves wrote:
@ Just saying. I don't wish to speculate, nor judge. You may have a low tolerance threshold for a handful of people to bother you so much. Just focus on getting on peacefully with your own life, and perhaps support better charities and political parties that will create positive change in the long run.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 1:37pm Mark wrote:
Just Saying... I think that you need to remember that this is a new phenomenon. As has been pointed out, we didn't have beggars 10 years ago. Now our streets are lined with them. Drugs aren't a new thing. Strong cider isn't new. Scrounging and fecklessness haven't just been invented. The homeless that we see now are there because of the erosion of council support for the vulnerable, benefit sanctions, the cap on housing benefits... etc...
On 5 Aug 2018 at 2:26pm Just saying... wrote:
...and drink and drugs, and refusal to accept help which would require them to make an effort.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 3:04pm Green Sleeves wrote:
@ Just Saying. But the point is that access to those support services have become much more limited now. Like Mark said, there is little else to explain what it could otherwise be, given that drugs/alcohol have always been readily available. The safety net has far more holes in it these days, and your patience, contempt and inconvenience is the price.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 4:43pm menthal wrote:
sounds like the jester of Lewes to me, did he have the white streak in his hair? he was cycling along by tescos earlier happily calling everybody a fecking C**t as he cycled by at speed.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 4:46pm I thought he shouted wrote:
" Who's in front ? "
On 5 Aug 2018 at 7:42pm Passer By wrote:
Yep definitely the jester bloke. I didn’t spit on him but as he was so abusive I did tell him to sort himself out as he was a mess and subsequently, suggested him jumping in the river, you d*ckhead.
On 5 Aug 2018 at 9:46pm Jimmycliffe wrote:
Has anyone seen the messages near the citizen advice written in chalk ' I need to eat' I told him he can't expect food to drop out off the sky and to get off his backside and go and look for some anyway I bet he eats better than me .
On 6 Aug 2018 at 11:00am Worker wrote:
The people begging on the streets of Lewes haven’t appeared due to the decline in support services. They’ve appeared because people give them money. In the past they would have to head for somewhere bigger to beg - Brighton or London - because there just wasn’t the money here.
On 6 Aug 2018 at 4:05pm Green Sleeves wrote:
@ Worker, that makes little sense. People have ALWAYS been giving money to beggars. The more beggars is due to economic austerity measures, its not rocket science. You start cutting support, be it for welfare, or support for addiction or mental health issues, then problems will surface quicker and more frequently. It didn't even have to be this way.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 4:29pm Town user wrote:
Have just been harassed by the HSBC fellows. They told me they need £2 just as I'm finishing with the machine. Told him don't ever bother me again, and its cheeky to ask when I'm at cashpoint. Then he got bit mouthy as I walked away. I do have some sympathy. But manners cost nothing and last a lifetime.
On 7 Aug 2018 at 5:05pm Town user wrote:
Greensleeves. I agree with points you make. But what's the answer give these people endless support. I also understand how people get in to these situations. Basically how do we not make them beg? Sorry I sound harsh, but I will not support somebody's alcohol & heroin problems.

On 9 Aug 2018 at 11:54pm Annmarie wrote:
I have spoken to the police and local MP about this problem and the only person who is really homeless is the man outside boots who was actually given emergency accommodation and left after 1 day he was also offer a rehab program for his drink and drug problem and refused the rest of them live in landport or ousedale and claim benefits from the job centre I think they should be moved on it looks horrible and they are just scrounging for extra money for drugs plus who wants to see people off there face on drugs and drink in the middle of the town

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Arch Bishop burning 4:143
Arch Bishop burning

Is that such bad news. Years after year, the same old tedious thing. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell