Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Advice

On 23 Feb 2010 at 8:12pm Lucky Escapee wrote:
Since my ex moved out (4 years ago), I have received some post addressed to them. Initially I used to forward the post, but as time has gone by the post has dwindled and, as I no longer have contact with this person, I now bin the odd Homebase newsletter that is addressed to them.
On a couple of occassions I have received post demanding payment of utilities (incurred by them, at their new address and in the last 4 years). Needless to say, I have contacted the utility companies concerned and advised them of my ex's new address. My ex was advised not to use my address and (combined with their unpaid debt of several thousands to me), we no longer have any contact.
Today I have received notification that a letter requiring a signature is ready for collection from the post office and, although I would prefer to ignore it and have it returned to sender, I wonder if I should sign for it and see if the envelope indicates who it is from (so that I can contact the sender and advise incorrect address). I am also concerned that my ex is continuing to use my address and that this letter could be warning that a charge is to be placed on my property for another of their unpaid debts.
What should I do? Ignore or investigate?

On 23 Feb 2010 at 9:35pm Incredulous wrote:
what a git, I would investigate in order to ensure you are not going to get any unfairly directed grief from this and that your ex can possibly be contacted and advised in no uncertain terms that their behaviour is unaceptable - threatening letter from solicitor type would certainly be in order I would think

On 23 Feb 2010 at 11:59pm Snowie wrote:
Don't sign for the letter if it's not in your name! If it is a legal demand and you sign for it you put yourself in a slightly awkward situation. No one can put a charge on your property if the person they are chasing doesn't own it, whether they have lived with you or not. Ignore it and don't feel bullied by people who cannot claim anything legally from you.

On 24 Feb 2010 at 12:08am Brixtonbelle wrote:
I would go to collect it and see if it's for you. If it's not just tell the post office it should go back to the sender. You could always ask if the post office have a way of preventing post addressed to your ex from being delivered to your address. If you continue getting post for him just put it back in the post box with 'return to sender - no longer at this address' written boldly on the front.

The other thing to investigate with a soiicitor is whether this constitues harassment and whether an injunction could be used against him.
This presumes he no longer has any legal title to the property or any financial claim on it.

On 24 Feb 2010 at 5:52pm Shaymus wrote:
Why assume Lucky Escapee is a woman?

On 24 Feb 2010 at 10:37pm Assumer wrote:
Or, indeed, why assume Lucky Escapee is heterosexual?

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2019 25:132
Cliffe Tableau 2019

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine