Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Abhorrent anti-semitic forum postings

On Fri 25 Jan at 10:52pm Drift away wrote:
Lewes officially the capital snowflake of England?

Check it out here »
On Fri 25 Jan at 11:28pm Fluppy wrote:
And this is why I’m more than happy to be a registered name. The forum, which I still believe in, will build back up in time but without these obscene and offensive posts. There’s a lot to be said for just being respectful within a debate and I am probably going to be accused of being a snowflake when I say a bit of kindness isn’t such a big ask. Frankly I don’t care, the world at the moment could do with a bit more tolerance and empathy.
On Fri 25 Jan at 11:43pm Drift away wrote:
I’m sorry you old fart did I offend you? Do you need your safe space?
See how registration doesn’t stop free speech?
See how registration isn’t going to stop “obscene offensive posts”
Keep trying to shut everyone down, it will only work for so long.
On Sat 26 Jan at 9:10am jojo wrote:
Sorry but the postings that were shut down were completely unacceptable-I was about to report them as hate crime. Yes it does exist here in Lewes. Get over it. Stop being childish.
On Sat 26 Jan at 9:43am Ferret wrote:
@Drift away. Did you actually see what was posted, and if so, did you think the comments were acceptable? The forum had been too tolerant of what you call "free speech", and apparently unwilling to enforce its own terms of use. Action was only taken after months of complaints when these particularly vile comments were made.
On Sat 26 Jan at 10:45am Green Sleeves wrote:
If I were to criticise Israels illegal occupation, expanding Jewish settlements and oppression of the people of Gaza and then be labelled as anti-Semitic and subsequently banned from the forum then I would be justified in being indignant. But racist, anti-Semitic slurs should not be tolerated and I suspect that was the kind of content that was rightfully deleted by webbo on this forum.
On Sat 26 Jan at 12:02pm Ferret wrote:
@Green Sleeves: the comments were far worse than that. They were an offence against humanity, not just against victims and survivors of the Holocaust. They had nothing at all to do with Israel.
On Sat 26 Jan at 12:13pm Drift away wrote:
An offence against humanity?
We can only hope you people never stumble upon a shock site. My days you people would be scarred for life.
On Sat 26 Jan at 12:26pm Ferret wrote:
@Drift away: It's clear that you are not aware of the the content of the comments. You certainly can't justify them by suggesting that there are far more shocking things on the internet. Of course there are, but there is no need to refer to them on a respectable local forum. Sometimes it's important to raise your head from the gutter. It's good for the mind.
On Sat 26 Jan at 1:32pm Earl of Lewess wrote:
There's a world of difference between strongly expressing an opinion and making a deeply unpleasant joke about gassing Jews. I'm not a fan of safe spaces and don't like the idea of criminalising free speech, but the poster concerned was being deliberately provocative with their adolescent, pathetic attention seeking. I suspect that the poster lives with their mum and wouldn't say boo to a goose in real life.
On Sat 26 Jan at 2:26pm Fluppy wrote:
Case in point: Drift Away resorts to calling me an “old fart”. Are you completely incapable of making a comment without name calling?
On Sat 26 Jan at 2:53pm Green Sleeves wrote:
@eol you are probably correct. Or they are a genuinely hate filled knucklehead.

I don't think being labelled an "old fart" is quite what reasonable, decent people have in mind when it comes to curbing hate speech.....but I guess "drift away" may lack the intelligence and nuance to understand the context behind what constitutes hate speech. Or empathy. Either way, they are a wally.
On Sat 26 Jan at 3:34pm Ferret wrote:
Judging by the upticks awarded to Drift away, it seems that the gutter dwellers are still out there, even if they've been silenced somewhat.
On Sat 26 Jan at 4:41pm Hyena wrote:
Uptick?
On Sat 26 Jan at 6:50pm Ferret wrote:
Sorry, wrong site. Thumbs up..
On Sat 26 Jan at 10:30pm Tom Pain wrote:
I think that an attitude of firm but quiet contempt for nasty postings is the best strategy. They know what they're doing and revel in the the attention they are gathering -- you don't put out the torch with more paraffin. I never saw the post but all the attention has piqued my curiosity into something not meriting any attention whatsoever-- no good. The Earl got it right, he'll grow up, even I did somewhat.
On Sun 27 Jan at 5:47pm David Stanley wrote:
Let's be honest. The reason webbo and the council took action was because of threats of litigation. Whether or not that is a good or bad thing I don't know.
On Sun 27 Jan at 11:01pm Ferret wrote:
I can't see how the council could be legally liable for the poor enforcement of this forum's terms and conditions. I think the site owner just got fed up with constant abuse and the complaints that followed.
On Tue 29 Jan at 10:31am Grumbleweed wrote:
Too many people offended for the sake of being offended.
Get over it and grow a pair.
On Tue 29 Jan at 11:26pm Ferret wrote:
@Grumbleweed Is there nothing that you would find so offensive that you would complain? Those of us who read the offending comments were justifiably offended, as was Webbo and the council. So I think it's you that needs to get in step, and get over it yourself.
On Fri 1 Feb at 11:03am Grumbleweed wrote:
Ferret, sticks and stones will break my bones.
To many sandal wearing politically correct pansies who get shocked when confronted by others who do not subscribe to views and opinions not concordant with their own rose tinted vision ofvthe world.
It's enough to make you cry into your lentil soup.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Looking down on creation 95:139
Looking down on creation

@TomPain - Yes, the climate changes due to a variety of factors (including variation in the sun itself) but not on the short time... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams