Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

A warning to parents of babys using leisure centre

On 11 Jan 2010 at 7:49pm Trotty wrote:
Hi all,
My wife and I have been taking our 5 month old daughter swimming to the leisure centre for a few weeks now and have enjoyed every trip, our only concern was that only a couple of the baby changing mats had securing straps on, which was never a problem as we just found another cubicle.
Having enjoyed our swimming trips my wife signed our daughter up for swimming lessons at the leisure centre on Mondays, the first was last week and they all had a great time except some of the mums had to use cubicles without straps on the baby changing mats which makes changing yourself and baby a real tricky exercise! My wife on the way out of the leisure centre mentioned to reception that these straps were broken and needed fixing, she was told that this was not good and can only have just happened, my wife then mentioned that this was her 4th visit in about 6 weeks and they were broken when she first came...!! anyway the reception said it would be fixed.
The second swimming lesson was today and were they fixed..........no, and to make this story even worse one of the mums had to deal with the horror of her 18week baby falling off of one of the broken changing mats (about adult waist height).
Why put on lessons when the facilities are not adequate, and when told something is dangerous why not get it sorted??
That poor woman went through hell today, luckily after a trip to hospital the baby is fine, the leisure centre were lucky, this could have been much, much worse!!
On 11 Jan 2010 at 7:58pm Elsinaw wrote:
Oh for God's sake! Stop whinging; common sense, responsibility, why does today's new parental generation expect everything to be perfect? Roll on the apocalypse...

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:07pm Head shaker wrote:
Agreed. I wonder how perfect madam's residence is! get a life you stupid cow

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:11pm Trotty wrote:
Excuse me.....!!!
It was a warning for others to prevent a further potential fatal situation, thanks for your respect in the matter!

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:22pm Know It All wrote:
Head Shaker that was flattly out of order for you to say that, Trotty was simply expressing his concerns in order for further incidants to be avoided! i think that if you re-read this post and your input, you'll find that your the stupid cow in need of a life. x

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:32pm bishi wrote:
headshaker,i wonder how stupid you would think this perfectly polite and sensible post from trotty was if it were to be your child falling off of the mat??? i can only assume that either your not a parent,or you're so very perfect that the sun shines out your derrire...

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:36pm Pink wrote:
I am surprised at the comments left by Elsinaw and Head shaker, are either of these people parents? I'm guessing not!!!!! If so, I challenge them to hold a young baby and get changed out of a soaking wet swimsuit at the same time!!!!!
The views expressed by Trotty are indeed concern to all that use the leisure centre. If the management are unable to provide a safe place for mothers and young babies to change after paying for a swimming lesson, I wonder what else is being missed. Health and safety, although sometimes used to extremes, is there for the prevention of needless accidents and the injury sustained by a young baby falling from adult waist height could be very serious.
I suggest Elsinaw and Head shaker take their thoughts elsewhere because their stupid and childlike comments have no place in this serious thread.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:36pm digchris wrote:
I can't get over the last two comments. If was your child you would be feeling and doing the same. If you say differently then you are a liar.
also fact pool was closed for 3 weeks for a deep clean and paint job witch looks like a child has done it and you think they would have been fixed then!!!!

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:39pm woody wrote:
I think maybe Head shaker and Elsinaw should both be dropped on there heads to knock some common sense in to them both what a pair of idots get a life x

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:46pm Dickie wrote:
Elsinaw and Head Shaker, you two really need to think before commenting on people's posts!! He was advising parents that there are dangerous issues with regards the baby changing facility's at Lewes leisure centre. Obviously one parent and baby has already had a very frightening incident today but are thankfully unhurt. It could have been very different as baby's are very fragile.
Please bloody think AND read posts before trolling the threads.
Idiots.
Trott, did you make an official complaint to them?

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:52pm trotty wrote:
No Dickie we didn't, I don't know if the little boys mum did or not!!
Thanks to the other people who got the idea of the post, shame there always twats in life who think they know better!!

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm agriculturalforce wrote:
to the two obviously single ugly rent-a-mob members where is it you get off? how can you even contemplate thinking such things let alone posting them online i should imagine your old as your ignorant attitude is similar to thoes of the elderly. maybe you should spend some more of your time doing something worth wile with your time instead of poking you nose where it's not wanted

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:54pm Herman The German wrote:
Excuse me, Elsinaw and head shaker, but you do not obviously know, how fragile a little child is. Just imagine it would have hit the floor from waist height head first. The Child would have suffered serious injuries, or even worse, the child could have died! If you do not know anything about children, or you don't have any, then I would recommend to you to shut up, and don't even try to have a child! My Girlfriend has a daughter of 11 months of age, and she fell off the couch a couple of days ago, and even we thought she might have injured herself but luckily she didn't. And it is not possible, to get yourself dressed and hold a child on your arms at the same time. And I wouldn't leave the child crawling around on the floor, as you will never know, what kind of bacteria and other stuff is there.
And now, just for an example: dropping down approximately 3 feet for a baby, it's the same as you would fall of a height of aproximately 9 feet! Don't tell me that you wouldn't hurt yourself falling that high.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 8:55pm darwin77 wrote:
I agree with the majority here, the original post raised a perfectly valid point. It's perfectly fair to expect facilities to be safe when they take your money.
Hope it gets sorted.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 9:02pm Barny wrote:
What a terrible shock for the poor mother and awful for the baby too, just glad no permanent damage has been done. It is a nightmare trying to change after swimming with a small baby. Lewes Leisure Centre really shouldn't offer swimming lessons to this age group if they do not have the full and correct facilities in place. As for the comments by Elsinaw & Head shaker they really obviously are not parents and I hope that one day if they are they will see just how ridiculous their comments have been! I hope that the leisure centre will now do the right thing.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 9:02pm Cowgirl wrote:
Well i may not be a mum but i have know trotty for many years and have complete support on this rather serious subject! I think mayb the two idiots were dropped on their heads at bith which is why that made such a stupid and thoughtless comment! If the leisure centre cant provide proper safe equiptment then they shouldnt b in opperation and making money from it. So if i were u id think before abusing people idiots!!
On 11 Jan 2010 at 9:22pm tippap wrote:
Perhaps these two were dropped from a great height when they were babies. Well they should be dropped now. They are just a couple of ignoramuses the sort who step over somebody who they have just seen beaten up and bleeding to death. I hope the young mum concerned sues for everything she can, she deserves it and the pool deserve to be taken to court. Let the local papers know about it and print it all over their front page.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 9:39pm slim wrote:
I bet they're really hideously fat and ugly, that's why they're full of spite.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 10:01pm boxerluva wrote:
Clearly the 2 brainless A****oles Elsinaw & Headshaker were dropped on their heads from a great height when young and certainly should be now. I think the baby's mum should take legal advise & definately lobby your local MP about it. Incidently biased Agriculturalforce - I am almost elderly & I certainly don't have such a crass stupid attitude ( or you ageist predjudice !! )

On 11 Jan 2010 at 10:23pm rossy d wrote:
On reading all the posts I as a non father can see a child is a fragile thing. On reflection I can only think that you wouldn't leave broken glass on the floor, and it's the same with allowing a child crawl around without a care 3 foot off the ground.
If you had a dog would you let it eat something that made it bad... The answer is no, so trotty is just doing what he can to stop something bad happening...

On 11 Jan 2010 at 10:39pm Ted wrote:
The original post was a well thought out and sensibly written piece. To decry it with such vitriol is the pathetic trolling of a feeble-minded waste of oxygen.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 10:53pm MattB wrote:
Im not a parent (yet) but my wife & I have taken our young (18 month old now) niece swimming since she was about 6 months old and even though theres 2 of us getting her changed & us changed always feels like a challenge! So hats off to any parent who managed to do it on their own without the added stress and risk of not being able to secure their baby in some way.
As for the comments from the first 2 posters aside from a total lack of compassion, common sense or intellect yes thing used to be different in the good old days with communal changing facilities and parents given the space to change their babies on mats on the floor etc but the PC police and small mind idiots like you got involved and decided that it was no longer right or appropriate or whatever as everyone would be offended at seeing a baby being changed one can but hope you dont have children and dont have any if the future as I dont think the gene pool needs any further Darwin award candidates from the likes of you.

On 11 Jan 2010 at 11:06pm Sparticus wrote:
Trotty well done for bringing this to other parents attention it should be sorted asap we pay our council taxes for them to maintain the place in a fit and corect state !!!
As for the two educationaly subnormal spiless idiots that posted the first couple of comments i have always maintained that there is a need for chemical castration in this country to keep the gene pool free from those who really shouldnt have been born themselves !!!!

On 11 Jan 2010 at 11:08pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Can I make a suggestion for the future. Do what I used to do - take a big fluffy towel, wrap baby up in it (old fashioned swaddling) and lay gently on towel on the floor. Baby is warm and happy and doesn't flail around, you can get changed knowing your baby isn't going to roll off a ledge or changing table and bash head. I never used those waist height changing mats provided anywhere - the floor is much safer, nowhere to fall ! And swaddling is great for babies, they love it, makes them feel very warm and secure. Or you can take your own roll up portable changing mat (again for the floor).

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:46am TheCod wrote:
how dare elsinaw and head shaker write such disgracful, nasty, sensless comments about such serious issue. I cant understand why people can be so heartless and cruel!! I hope that no child has the miss fortune to call you their parent but if they do then I hope that they have a guardian angel to keep them safe as you obviously dont give a toss!!!

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:51am TheCod wrote:
how dare elsinaw and head shaker write such disgracful, nasty, sensless comments about such serious issue. I cant understand why people can be so heartless and cruel!! I hope that no child has the miss fortune to call you their parent but if they do then I hope that they have a guardian angel or a social worker to keep them safe as you obviously dont give a toss!!!

On 12 Jan 2010 at 8:55am ere be monsters wrote:
I think everyone on this thread ought to read through it all again. Mrs Trotty has shown she was sensible enough to not put her child on the changing mat without restaints as she was not happy with that situation. That was when something should have been said to the centre. Elsinaw and Headshaker made valid points, just perhaps in a slightly over emotive manner. Everyone else who has posted since have been slagging these two off and suggesting they would make terrible parents, I don't understand why. Parents are responsible for their children, end of story, I would never have placed any of our children in a position of danger, however on the occasions that they did fall, on their heads or otherwise, I was not looking for someone else to blame. Slim your post was no more inteligent or helpful than the two you were having a go at. Rossy d good points, but you miss the point that the unfortunate child that fell on it's head had a parent there that should have seen the danger. Brixtonbelle, a sensible common sense person, looking after her child herself. TheCod, there are no such thing as guardian angels (social workers have been proved to have short comings as well) hopefully you do not rely on such mythological beings to look after your children.
Trotty's original post was sensible and the ensuing incident involving the young child was completely avoidable, but please everyone look to the safety of your children yourselves as we have seen time and time again we cannot rely on other people to look after them as well as we can.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 10:05am Trotty wrote:
If the leisure centre is open to babys and provides the changing mats then they legaly have to be maintained, the mum in question should not be doubted in her actions that is not the point of my post!
The first 2 posts after my original post were out of order and I think that has been shown by the other posts, to call that poor woman a stupid cow after going through that shows what an idiot that person is, and belive me I'm biting my tounge!

On 12 Jan 2010 at 10:06am Trotty wrote:
If the leisure centre is open to babys and provides the changing mats then they legaly have to be maintained, the mum in question should not be doubted in her actions that is not the point of my post!
The first 2 posts after my original post were out of order and I think that has been shown by the other posts, to call that poor woman a stupid cow after going through that shows what an idiot that person is, and belive me I'm biting my tounge!

On 12 Jan 2010 at 11:00am ere be monsters wrote:
I agree the facilities that are being charged for should be in working order. However your wife was sensible enough not to put your child at risk, others obviously haven't been. Hopefully the mother in question doubts her own actions, otherwise she will not have learned anything from the incident. This does not make her a bad mother. This is not entirely the leisure centre's fault, it is the "where there's blame, there's a claim" mentality that says as long as we can blame someone else then we don't even have to think for ourselves. What you did Trotty was to bring the problem to everyone's attention, quite rightly. I agree that calling the woman a stupid cow is unnecessary, as was the nature of Slim's and Boxerluva's posts. Does anyone know what the legal requirements are for a changing mat are, we all seem to assume they should have straps, but do they?

On 12 Jan 2010 at 11:16am Trotty wrote:
Yes, they come with them fitted and have to be maintained.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 11:20am ere be monsters wrote:
So what do you think should happen now Trotty?

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:06pm Trotty wrote:
Is that not obvious?? Mend the broken mats before the hse take action following an accident, and trust me the hse will take action!!

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:19pm ere be monsters wrote:
Quite right. Are there signs up in the changing rooms to tell parents to strap their child in when they are on the mat? Is there a disclaimer saying the leisure centre is not responsible if a child falls off if not strapped on? Are the leisure centre expecting people to use their common sense? Surely not!!! Are we expected to use our common sense? If things are broken, don't use them.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:31pm Trotty wrote:
Agreed, but if the staps are broken and cannot be used then legally it's down to the centre for not maintaining them. There is no such thing as common sense in health and safety!!

On 12 Jan 2010 at 12:40pm Trotty wrote:
Anyway I'm leaving this debate now.... Thank you all for your posts my original point was simply to avoid any broken babies not for papers, claims or to slag of the leisure centre, just to warn any other mums out there that may now think twice!
Please fix them leisure centre and see you next week for another swim!
Trotty.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 1:21pm ere be monsters wrote:
Don't go running along the poolside and definitely no bombing!!!!

On 12 Jan 2010 at 2:03pm Head shaker wrote:
Oh, and take a thermometer to make sure your coffee is not too hot you claim chasing, Bills using, what can I moan about next, mumsy wumsy pain in the ass.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 2:25pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
Now Now you two, leave the poor girl alone. She's got a pilates class to go to.

On 12 Jan 2010 at 3:53pm Trotty wrote:
Hope you slip in the ice and bang your heads on hard concrete! C**cks

On 12 Jan 2010 at 4:02pm numberjack wrote:
Is this a hangman, I guess Clocks?

On 12 Jan 2010 at 4:21pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
Chicks?

On 12 Jan 2010 at 4:25pm ere be monsters wrote:
I thought you'd gone Trotty. Pity you had to ruin your composure right at the end. I guess Chicks. Last post
Tar Tar......Tar tar...... Tar tar tar ta tar ta tar tar tar tar.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Mount Caburn 92:132
Mount Caburn

Right, to be clear. Iíve got nothing but empathy for those struggling among us. It just hit me the other day how many more... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina