Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

A Very bad decision

On 12 Dec 2015 at 2:09pm Jeff wrote:
With this decision, the SDNP and LDC have set their face against the very raison d'etre of Lewes as a thriving cultural polis with a plurality of integrated artistic and allied trades, a transport hub and a centre for many other occupations- a place thousands call home, as much as they call it a place of creation.
Instead of looking to their responsibilities to make it thrive, even to improve it, their shrivelled worldview embodies narrow profit and facelessness, gated intruder colonies of the moneyed class from elsewhere, a high premium given to cowboy contructors and foreign paymasters who squirrel cash in offshore havens, whilst those like me who have contributed to the cultural life of the community throughout our long years, in my case from birth, are offered an underground mural to visually bemoan our great loss.
These councillors and board members, the great majority who have never lived in this town and cannot now ever be said to hold its best interests at heart, have, instead of listening to the measured proposals and great design sense of the Phoenix Rising plan, evoked a sort of small-minded jealousy, the revenge of the uncreative and the dim- the moneygrubbing opportunities have blacked out the light, because in their hearts they haven't ever made a piece of music, a painting, a frame, a bus service,a choir, a dance school or any single thing that makes life worth living.T hey have never created realistically priced homes either.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 2:14pm lewes wrote:
Jeff: what a load of old drivel.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 2:17pm bob wrote:
Mutton Jeff -The only bad decision is the one you made in making this post!!!!!!!!!
On 12 Dec 2015 at 2:25pm Landporter wrote:
And that post Jeff, just typifies everything bad about this town.
It's happening pal, get over it
On 12 Dec 2015 at 3:10pm bastian wrote:
I did not go to the meeting last Thursday becasue I was at work, but I did read the entire paper stash that was handed out to those invited to the meeting-there are some glaring gaps in the plan, written by mnay official bodies as well as community groups who are experts in their fields (bat protection and arborialsts and Southern water). These were not addressed properly at the hearing, and though those groups had their say, I noticed that the chair of the planning group had a wry smirk on his face which was contemptuous to say the least, when approaching experts for their views. Yes I did watch the film of the hearing after work. I don't think the public can be expected to put up with this closed door opertaion that they are paying for. It's been badly organised from the off. We do need housing, and that area does need regeneration, but positive stuff. The flood wall will only protect a small area of the town, what about the bottom of Orchard road and Spences lane? it isn't sufficient to wall off desirable areas and not others. The government has renaged on its duty to protect its electorate form the rising waters and defends its inability to call in taxes from the top ranking industries that could pay for flood defences by saying that they would operate else where if we asked them to pay tax. This is crass! So we end up in the pocket of a huge company, who's finance is offshore, filling in the planning gaps because local government is strapped for cash.Mean while, we are living in an area of the country that has little fresh water and the demands on that water is about to go up by 400 house holds-the aquifer is running dry. We have to have this new build because the government has to be seen to be doing something for the economy-who's economy when most people from Sussex can't afford what they are building-and under their new rules, those housing association houses could be sold off like the council house after a few years, thus compounding the problems of the young who are stuck in the rent trap, they won't be able to buy those houses either, the will end up as more buy to let options like so many houses in Lewes.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 3:39pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Jeff. This post was a joke, right? You are almost a parody of yourself. "Raison d"etre" indeed.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 3:52pm bastian wrote:
I just want to add that modern politics has led a mass exodus from common sense and leaves an overriding swell in the "running with the herd " mentality that is leading the human race into an abyss of anti-culture. Just needed saying.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 4:08pm Frozen wrote:
Let it go.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 4:24pm jack wrote:
move the caravan on
On 12 Dec 2015 at 4:40pm Minty wrote:
You Sir, are talking Bo££ocks
On 12 Dec 2015 at 5:25pm Realist wrote:
Reasoned points from Jeff and Bastian who were at the meeting or viewed the webcast. Then come the Santon rentamob.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 5:45pm jaffa wrote:
Jeff and bastian are obviously Renton rentamob. Unreasonable comments from both of them! Bulldozing for phase 1 begins at the beginning of January. Hooray! Let's get this done!
On 12 Dec 2015 at 6:59pm fred wrote:
At last progress on a blighted site. Now let us see all the other undeveloped sites move forward. Lewes needs to progress and now it looks as if it will. We also need the Lewes Uckfield rail link.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 7:07pm Jeff wrote:
Some of what you've lost

Watch the video »
On 12 Dec 2015 at 7:27pm artist wrote:
No video, just a blank. Is this your nouvelle vague Jeff, truly ironic art ? Certainly tickled my raison d'etre !!
On 12 Dec 2015 at 7:43pm bastian wrote:
Of course if you run with the herd you tend to be rude and unthinking, rational debate is unnecessary and so you can just bite back rather than discuss points of difference.
But then we know this, and prefer to stand up for what we believe in rather than just roll over to big, non tax paying profiteers, maybe the herd like being shafted up the A, maybe they see that as the rightful thing to live as a serf under the boot of the rich and tax exempt-I disagree-when I see paper work that doesn't tally up with the National Park criteria or the councils responsibility to its electorate, I say so, because that is what democracey means! but the herd have forgotton that, they think it means bombing people into agreeing with them rather than talking. By the way I'm nothing to do with Renton(?), Just someone who is alive not a zombie.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 7:48pm Celine wrote:
I'm still trying to find out about Compass buses which I now use alot as I can't drive anymore due to an accident. Are they being relocated? I have been told they weren't discussed at the Thursday meeting. Is that true?
On 12 Dec 2015 at 8:25pm Bus user wrote:
Compass buses have a public service contract. It's their job to find a new base and somewhere where they won't disturb residents when they start up at 5 in the morning. Like all the leases in Phoenix Place they have expire in March 16. They willingly signed short leases and they know when they're up.
On 12 Dec 2015 at 8:43pm amy wrote:
I'm sure they willingly signed up in order to enjoy the advantage of very low rent, albeit temporary. They knew the score but they've got caught up in the web of Phoenix Rising's risible propaganda,
On 12 Dec 2015 at 9:02pm Lopster wrote:
Need to stop the slide of all other amenities...
Appalling lack of parking is killing businesses around the bottleneck
Parking will refuce further with the new hotel
Can't even get a bus anymore - four an hour is now one an hour with a journey time of 50 minutes for a mile and a quarter
Useless useless councils
On 12 Dec 2015 at 9:20pm Convenient wrote:
Can I just suggest the moaners move somewhere else if they don't like the new addition to the town . I think on a similar but different thread someone suggested voting with their feet and not visiting the new development.... some news for you , that's fine there won't be any shops selling broken caravans , colourful harem pants or overpowering incense sticks so no one loses .
It was only ever temporary !!
On 12 Dec 2015 at 10:01pm Celine wrote:
I notice a lack of clear answer to my question and I'm getting fed up with the aggressiveness of some responses that clearly think that getting the permission is all that matters and anyone still asking questions should go away. Disgraceful bullying. I still want to know what is going to happen to these bus services!
On 13 Dec 2015 at 12:19am Cuban Raft Rider wrote:
Bastian, you had me open to spending a couple of minutes digesting your post till twenty seconds in you commented on the wry smirk of the chairman after letting us all know that you where not in attendance of the meeting.
Asides from what you and your peers at the Phoenix must think about local politics please bare in mind the ceative cycle.
A poor run down area with low rents is taken up by short term budget renters. This provides a platform for some educated folk with drive to develop an incubus environment for some creativity then in its natural cycle is thebarea is ear for regeneration. Your obviously bright
Bristol, Brighton, Hackney. Same shizzle n bizzle.
The.Phoenix are of Lewes is run down, run down enough that one of the highlights in your campaign against change is the argument for a bus company running an aging fleet to retain a pull in pit stop. Let it go, it's a pitiful argument !
I know of at least one business down that you (et al) have mentioned in your campaign who can't wait to relocate to be away from the Phoenix Rising thing
Put your energy into finding the next platform for your creativity rather than using this as a fight against society.
Remember the cycle, find a cheap run down area that no one wants and get ceative in it.
Newhaven may be a great option and take Jeff with you for a cup of camomile tea.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 12:25am Realist wrote:
As I said before Compass were not mentioned last Thursday. The only reference to buses was that they would not go onto the new development.
Jaffa, I don't know where you get your "facts" from but the planning committee said that work would not start until next autumn.

On 13 Dec 2015 at 7:37am LTLR wrote:
CELINE -- The Malling Brooks site is a light industrial site Working hours 8am- 6pm
Monday to Friday , 8am to 1pm Saturdays NO Sunday or Bank holiday working
NOT A BUS STATION Compus will not be relocated to Malling Brooks
On 13 Dec 2015 at 8:20am Bus user wrote:
Celine - ask Compass Buses what they're going do / where they're going rather than getting cross at users of this forum. We don't have answers - it's their job.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 8:27am Bus user wrote:
Celine - their phone no is 01903 690025 - it's their Worthing base but also listed for their Lewes depot. Give them a call tomorrow and let us know what they say.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 9:42am jaffa wrote:
Realist - demolition for phase 1 starts in January. Building commences in the autumn.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 9:55am bastian wrote:
cuban raft racer-so sad you didn't read further than 20 seconds into my post as I went on the explain that I had to wait to watch the film of the hearing after work, I am purely a resident who can see how the town is being mis-served by a corrupt council, a coucnil who are prepared to bring the National Park authority to its knees by forcing it to go against its own criteria and policy in order to get this pushed through-the ends do not and have not bee legally tied up properly. The NP are supposed to ensure that community, transport and local buisness/jobs are not in any way affetced by the imposition of a large sclae building planning application. The loss of these things are grounds for the park authority to refuse the plans. They scuppered so mnay of their own crucial criteria that they have made a mockery of the entire National Park system and it will have repercussians on other parks who have towns in. It isn't just about scale (given that most towns in parks are small) it's about the force of people like Santon and thier attitude/contempt for the areas in which they are building. It is a kind of "modernise or die" attitude that is out of kilter with a National Park's duty. Lots of people were up for a discussion on this but they didn't want to talk, just modify theor plans a little in order to make them more tolerable to those who had their arm twisted up their backs.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 10:41am jaffa wrote:
Bastian -bit long winded and paragraphs would make your points easier to read. I tend not to read these long winded rants and prefer concise points if possible.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 11:29am Ros wrote:
Bastian - the Park's planning committee had to weigh the balance of the evidence of the application. Clearly it didn't agree with your view - and their decision was unanimous. I suggest you get accept it - it is what's so.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 12:31pm bastian wrote:
jaffa, try using twitter.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 12:32pm bastian wrote:
Ros, thesae are not my views,or opinions, they are the National Park's own criteria. I did not write them.
On 13 Dec 2015 at 5:31pm stevied wrote:
Sorry, I've been out of town - have I left it too late to laugh hysterically at "the very raison d'etre of Lewes as a thriving cultural polis with a plurality of integrated artistic and allied trades, a transport hub and a centre for many other occupations- a place thousands call home, as much as they call it a place of creation"?
So Jeff, what proportion of residents (thatís all residents, including those ordinary folk that seem to get overlooked) would you say are artistic/creative/íalliedí? 5%? Iíve lived here all my life and know a lot of people, and can count the number employed in the Ďartistic and allied tradesĎ on the fingers of one hand; maybe I just donít live in the right part of town. Letís be generous, letís say 10%. Thatís still not a lot to justify a raison d'etre!
On 14 Dec 2015 at 5:30am belladonna wrote:
i think there will be an appeal. all the way to the high court

On 14 Dec 2015 at 9:57am No Pot Pourri wrote:
The only route to appeal this is via judicial review at the high court on the grounds that there was a serious legal error by the Council. This must be done within six weeks, will cost many thousands and the likelihood of success is slim-to-none.

On 14 Dec 2015 at 10:16am HeyHo wrote:
Quite. I think people on this forum don't understand planning. It's a "quasi-judicial" process where the committee has to decide whether the application fits in with national planning policy. Their opinions about national planning policy or what they think should happen are neither here nor there. If they don't act appropriately the applicant can go to appeal, with the council potentially responsible for costs.
There is no third party right of appeal in this country (i.e. if someone else does not like the decision other than the applicant). As said above, you can only appeal on the grounds that the process has been unlawful.
On 14 Dec 2015 at 8:41pm Jude wrote:
Recent case against Lambeth Council - could have parallels
www.brixtonblog.com/cressingham-decision-unlawful-judge-rules/34255
On 14 Dec 2015 at 9:41pm Ben wrote:
Congratulations to the greedy developers and disgraceful council. I have lived in Lewes all of my life, and I LIKE the old industrial buildings. They could have been developed with a less population dense plan and preserved the natural beauty of Lewes. National PARK. That's a joke. Completely agree about the bullies, you don't represent me mate, or many of us in Lewes.
On 15 Dec 2015 at 7:42am jaffa wrote:
Ben: you liked the old industrial buildings. Shame but people need a place to live. Would you like us to build on brownfield and save greenfield. Point made. Do you realise how selfish you are. Hold the development lads! Ben really likes the look of old buildings!!!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals 59:132
Lewes Bonfire Pope and Cardinals

Polly as most of the responses don't seem to provide a complete answer to your question I can provide my experiences of the Lewes... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa