Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

8 days to go

On 28 Oct 2010 at 8:29am Mr Forks wrote:
And the winner is, me, early riser! 8 days people, just 8 days to go until the streets belong to us true Lewesians!

On 28 Oct 2010 at 10:04am gregory's girl wrote:
Guys, the bangers are too loud and will damage people's ears - can I suggest that they're turned down a bit?
I, for one, will be wearing ear defenders...
On 28 Oct 2010 at 10:19am Bonfire Bored wrote:
Get a life
On 28 Oct 2010 at 10:40am evil edna wrote:
Im a true Lewesian, born and bred in the town and been here for 44 years. I despise bonfire night and everything it stands for.
As for all the little bonfire boys and girls w*****g themselves stupid over bonfire night, well i can only echo "bonfire bored's" statement above.
GET A LIFE
On 28 Oct 2010 at 11:12am homesick wrote:
Evil Edna - what a sad creature you are - getting all bitter and twisted over other people having some fun.
Why don't you get a life of your own?

On 28 Oct 2010 at 11:16am solipsis wrote:
I hate you all and your all very sad and now I'm going to cry and cry and cry(oh no,nobody cares!)
Just got a good book on low self-esteem,some people might want to read it.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 11:22am Down and Out wrote:
Out of curiosity Evil Edna, what is it that bonfire 'stands for' which you 'despise'?

On 28 Oct 2010 at 11:45am Thread Bear wrote:
perhaps she is against freedom of speech? the basis of what little freedom we have left now under this mighty H&S empire we are now forced to inhabit...
perhaps it is "partying and enjoying yourself" that she is against?
reminding ourselves of what has gone before that must never be re-lived - is she against Rememberance Day too?
being allowed to take the streets once a year with a beer in your hands without being threatened by peurile laws that assume we all behave innappropriately ater a drink..
ho hum takes all sorts I suppose

On 28 Oct 2010 at 11:57am Helenium wrote:
In my humble opinion Bonfire night has been hijacked (so has Halloween, Easter, Christmas etc). Fireworks start going off in September and through most of the winter,.......... stuff for Halloween, Xmas etc is in the shops for months before the event...It's all too commercial and an excuse for alcoholic excess and consumersim....by the time the actual day of the event comes round I'm bored of hearing about it....
I celebrate the spring and autumn equinox and mid summer and mid winter in true pagan (well atheist) style....Nature should be celebrated....

On 28 Oct 2010 at 12:09pm Down and Out wrote:
Thread Bear - that's pretty much was I was thinking. To which you could add the pleasure of living in a community capable of organising a massive street festival, involving all ages and all parts of the community, without even an Arts Council grant or a local council Arts Co-ordination Officer to help....
Helenium - agree with you about Christmas etc, but you can hardly call Bonfire 'commercial' (except for Commercial, obviously), and the tradition of Sussex Bonfire starting in September and lasting 'til the end of November has been around for quite some time.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 12:11pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Bonfire hijacked by consumerism? How on earth do you work that one out? About the only people who make any money out of it are the burger vans and the shops selling rookies. Everyone in the societies is a volunteer and they're all run as none profit organisations that give a load of cash to charity.

It's one night a year where a lot of people get a lot of enjoyment, many of whom have worked very hard all year round to make it happen. I don't possibly see how this, combined with the charity giving, celebration of free speech and expression, rememberance of martyrs and British soldiers and continuation of a fine tradition could possibly be seen as a bad thing by anyone. I've not heard a single banger outside of any of the out-meetings so far this year, if you don't like the countdown threads then don't read them and the actual disruption to life in Lewes is a single day where you can't drive into town, just like Artwave, the kids procession, late night shopping, the clog dance thingy and probably a load of other events.

If you grew up in Lewes then I'm surprised you never got involved and realised how much fun Bonfire can be and if you moved here later in life then one would have thought you might have done a touch of research about the town before you moved, it's not exactly a secret after all.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 12:14pm homesick wrote:
Hi Helenium
I hope you have a lovely equinox in your yurt and celebrate by knitting a goat, or whatever else you do.
Let other people enjoy a bit of alcoholic excess (hic). You can enjoy looking down on them, so everyone wins.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 12:42pm Evil edna wrote:
I have no problems with letting people enjoy themselves and have a bit of "alcoholic excess".
But when it's at the expense of everyone else, it gets a bit much.
One of the particular procession routes goes past my house. My car is parked in the road just like it is on every other day of the year. But come 11 pm on the 5th, hundreds and hundreds of pi$$ed up members of public and, even worse, members of the procession, think it's fun to throw bangers into my garden and under my car.
Now if this was done by a few chavs leaving the pub on a friday night, there would be a 50 page thread on this site on how we should deal with them. However, because it's bonfire night in Lewes, it's deemed totally acceptable, and indeed it seems to be encouraged to commit criminal damage to my car and garden (and everyone elses up the street)
I would love to know the names and addresses of some of the complete and utter w@nkstains on here who think this behaviour is ok on one night of the year because believe me, i would happily dish out the same treatment to their property.
Still, all in the name of bonfire eh
On 28 Oct 2010 at 12:47pm Down and Out wrote:
I live on a procession route, too. But I move my car.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 12:57pm Mr Forks wrote:
Move your car Evil Edna. Bonfire was here before you and your car, deal with it and stop being a bloomin misery!
P.s. Name calling is not big and not clever!
On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:00pm homesick wrote:
You might want to leave town for the night- you could find somewhere else to be miserable for one night, surely.
If you went in your car, all you'd have to worry about would be the 'criminal damage' to your garden.
Did you always live in this house. Unless you moved into it as a child you should have known what you were letting yourself in for - and don't say that it wasn't the same in the olden days. I used to come to the bonfire in the early 70s.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:04pm Ed Can Do wrote:
The vast majority of Bonfire boys and girls are very responsible with their bangers, dropping them only in the road away from private property. It might be a slight inconvenience to park your car elsewhere for the evening (I always move mine and we don't even live on a procession route) but I'd suggest doing that is better than leaving it outside your house where you know it might be a target. For you to not live in a street where you have to move your car, you must know which society it is that marches past your house. Have you never tried contacting the society in question and letting them know that their members are throwing fireworks into your garden? If people don't let them know, they will struggle to police these things and no society wants unruly members to give them a bad name.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:34pm Old Cynic wrote:
Ed Can Do - There have been plenty of bangers (not as many as last year) but still too many. I used to really enjoy Bonfire but I guess I've grown out of it somehow and, having pets, makes the whole run up and aftermath traumatic. If it was the big night I think the dogs could cope, but its the randomness that really sends them (and eventually me) doolally. So we are off on a mini break and by the time we all get back everyone should have got it out of their system.
I am looking forward to the 364 days to go post!

On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:35pm Evil edna wrote:
The fact of the matter is, i shouldn't have to move house, move my car or leave my home for the night. It's always the victims fault isn't it especially in the name of bonfire. I don't have anywhere to move my car to, you seem to forget that 40,000 people come to Lewes, a majority in their cars and the streets are pretty full up.
Should i leave my house for the evening, will the societies put me up in a nice hotel somewhere and can i take my dog and cats, who are also sh1t scared of it.
So let's start having a few names and address on here so i can go out and post a few rookies through your letter box or under your car tyres or are we just going to come up with more pathetic excuses.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:40pm Mr Forks wrote:
You sound like a fun kind of person Evil Edna!

On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:41pm Down and Out wrote:
So what you're saying, Evil Edna, is that a traditional event with hundreds of year's history, enjoyed by thousands of people, should be stopped because you shouldn't have to be put to the inconvenience of moving your car.

Right.

When you find a planet that suits you, remind me not to go there.
On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:53pm Helenium wrote:
Just been up the Nevill to visit a friend...someone (male, about 18-25) dressed in full Bonfire Boy costume let a rookie of by Nevill Green...WHY? it is illegal and there were young kids playing on the swings etc.
Please identify yourself and explain why you did this? Frankly it has got b*gger all to do with Bonfire night...it is young lads taking advantage of 'bonfire' to act like hooligans..
and the comments about knitted yurts/goats etc are puerile...but that's what I expect from 'Bonfire boys'

On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:55pm Corker wrote:
Evil Edna,
You really should count your blessings as most of us are never able to park our cars anywhere remotely near to our homes.
If you really are a "born and bred" Lewesian, aren't you somewhat niave about choosing to live on a procession route and choosing to keep animals?

On 28 Oct 2010 at 1:58pm Evil edna wrote:
put your names and addresses up then mr forks and down and out. I'll show you what some fun is then.

Did i say it should be stopped down and out or are you really that thick.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:09pm cat in the hat wrote:
evil edna you really are sad! you complain about the bangers, but yet wish to put bangers through others doors! I really think you need to grow up and sort your life out

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:13pm Northern bigot wrote:
What a surprise! evil edna refers to that hoary old chestnut, no not herself, but bonfire nights effect on her pussies and pooch! Me thinks edna like the rest of of the "pet lovers" would detest bonfire even if she had no animals, but no year passes without mention of our four legged friends. Shock, horror! When it comes to being anti social, they have a nerve. Visit any park in the country, and despite every sign saying "dogs must be kept on a lead" 95% of the dogs will be off lead, dogs of all descriptions chasing through the park, or should that be dog exercise area, after balls sticks etc. Their owners not giving a thought about non dog lovers, the elderly or children frightened by these dogs, and refusing to clean up after them. Please be careful before lecturing! Lewes is the capital of bonfire and has been for 150 years! Slightly longer than youre 44 edna!

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:14pm Evil edna wrote:
@corker. Should i be dictated to regarding where i live and what pets i own just because some neanderthal morons decide that they want to throw fireworks at my property ?
I bet you enjoy reletive peace and quiet for 365 days a year don't you. Well, let's pick a random day, let's say 19th July, and i'll come round and throw a dozen rook scarers under your car and on your property. I have the strangest feeling you might just dial 999 and be a little pi$$ed off, not to say frightened.
Still, as long as those bonfire boys and girls are enjoying themselves, it's ok.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:18pm Helenium wrote:
Right on Evil Edna..
PS I'm born and bred Lewesian 39 Years..

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:19pm Evil edna wrote:
Here we go, blaming everyone else Bigot. How far do you want to take your pathetic arguement because both dogs and cats have been around since, well since the year dot !!!!!
Put your name and address up Bigot and we'll have a bit of rookie fun together [something tells me bigot won't be doing that]

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:21pm homesick wrote:
Surely even you have some friends you can stay with edna? Possibly not...
I have a dog, and reluctantly leave Lewes for bonfire night. Doesn't mean I don't want other people to enjoy it though.
Hellenium - boys of that age will let off rookies all over england. Lewes isn't singled out.
BTW purile? I could have said that you are just a big smelly jobbie and that's why you are such a whiner. But I didn't.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:28pm Helenium wrote:
I could have said shove a lit rocket up your @rse....but I didn't...
A quick question...how much money in total do the 'societies' spend on buying fireworks for the displays?

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:31pm Evil edna wrote:
Got no problems with people enjoying themselves homesick. Just not at the expense of others especially when the fun could be had elsewhere (fire site for example)

On 28 Oct 2010 at 2:35pm homesick wrote:
Helenium - are you going to suggest that they should be spending it on organic wheat yurts for the needy or something?

On 28 Oct 2010 at 3:15pm northern bigot wrote:
Angry edna! Havent you a doll to stick pins into? As for giving names and addresses, youve asked a number of people on here to give theirs! What about youre own? I realise this weekend being halloween will be busy for you, but do name a local hostelry and time, and im sure it can be arranged!

On 28 Oct 2010 at 3:26pm Helenium wrote:
Homesick etc you are a childish person...

On 28 Oct 2010 at 3:27pm Hells Belle wrote:
Edna, as you want to know where we all live, so you can in your own bitter way have your revenge; how about you tell us bonfire 'hooligans' where you live exactly, then we know where to drop rookies.....oooops typo! Of course I meant NOT to drop rookies!!!!

On 28 Oct 2010 at 3:32pm pandemonia wrote:
Oh get a life, Edna!
You've chosen to live in Lewes yet you appear to be in complete denial of the most important day of the year in the town. Not everyone supports Bonfire but most people manage to exist alongside it. You seem to enjoy the opportunity to be inconvenienced by the event and the chance it provides for a mighty old grizzle. Only I can't see any other reason for your insistence on leaving your car parked on a procession route. Have you ever considered being out of Lewes altogether on Bonfire Night? Or would that also be too sensible an idea?
I'm not quite sure what is incompatible about being a pagan AND in Bonfire either. But then I'm probably spending too much time in my organic yurt weaving entrails and invoking things.
As for what the societies spend on fireworks, why not ask one of the societies? The Cliffe, perhaps since they are well known for their reasoned response to this sort of question.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 3:58pm Evil edna wrote:
Hmmmm. Didn't think so. Hypocrites. Still, as long as the bonfire boys and girls enjoy themselves, who cares.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 4:00pm homesick wrote:
Hellenium - No - you are.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 4:04pm pandemonia wrote:
You wanted my address? Edna? You are most welcome but perhaps if you post YOURS then I can send you the relevant details. Only it'd be fearsomely hypocritical if you were to to lay down this challenge, call us all hypocrites and and then just run away, wouldn't it?

On 28 Oct 2010 at 4:09pm Evil edna wrote:
No pandemonia, you've got the wrong end of the stick. You post your address on here so i can then come round and surprise you with my noisy wares, just like the morons do on bonfire night up our street. It's quite a simple game to play.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 4:17pm pandemonia wrote:
Nothing would surprise me, Edna. It is Samhain, after all...
Although anything you care to donate to the Noisy Little Store of Things that Go Bang would be very well received.

On 28 Oct 2010 at 4:45pm cat in the hat wrote:
Its not like the bonfire people are surprising you is it! you know its coming a year in advance!!

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes Station 88:143
Lewes Station

'Reclaim the streets' Tom? You jest. The same procession year after year on one day, the same relentless brainless 'patriotism'... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell
Brighton Jobs