Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Poor Polluted Lewes

On Tue 14 Nov at 4:47pm Gobsmacked wrote:
I have just spent the day in Lewes town, working. I work there sporadically on an as required basis. I am gobsmacked by the serious level of traffic in the town. Why anyone in the world would choose to live in a town situated on the edge of the astronomically congested A27 with a horrendously heavily trafficked one way system ripping it's way through the centre of the town is beyond me. I popped out to do some shopping in the shops up the hill in my lunch break, and the level of noise from the non stop traffic was absolutely deafening. As a pedestrian I had to wait an age to cross any of the roads due to so many cars/buses/lorries/vans. As a driver on my way in and out I had to wait an age to be able to pull out where needed. The whole town is just a heavy traffic system. Why on earth anyone would want to move there is mind boggling, and why prices are so high for property is bizarre - I'd have thought it'd be cheap to live in Lewes town due to being so undesirable! I'm surprised you're not gasping for breath with respiratory diseases! If you're not, give it another few years of living with that level of polution and you soon will be! The pollution levels must be sky high. And do you realise traffic pollution takes over 1 mile of distance before it finally starts to dissipate? Silent and invisible it may be, but traffic pollution is a known killer.
On Tue 14 Nov at 4:55pm Slarty wrote:
Are you aware that the bypass was shut Eastbound and the traffic diverted through the town today?
On Tue 14 Nov at 4:58pm Vipalb wrote:
A27 Lewes by pass was closed eastbound today and all traffic diverted through town. Could be reason why more congested than usual..
On Tue 14 Nov at 5:22pm Pedro wrote:
It would be nice if there was less traffic in Lewes, but today is not the best example of a "typical" day, as has already been alluded to above. Very busy from the A27 closure as cars diverted round from both Kingston and "Lewes Prison" directions.

Its a popular town, and people could move out if they wished, but I don't see any mass exodus...so it can't all be bad, on balance. But we take your points on board about traffic, pollution, house prices etc and you had a nice vent.
On Tue 14 Nov at 6:13pm Bert wrote:
You've got to admit Lewes isn't really coping with the 21st century traffic, daily white van deliveries, coaches loading and unloading trippers anywhere they like, many 'single file' stretches where drivers aren't sure of the size of their vehicles, which really should be two way. One blockage causes havoc right through the town. Plus the many people on the narrow pavements, who prefer to walk right on the kerb stones with their back facing the traffic.
On Tue 14 Nov at 6:16pm Hamid Barr wrote:
@Gobsmacked - one of the few things Lewes has going for it is the lack of traffic. On most days a traffic jam is 12 cars.
Perhaps you should try driving around London is you need to find traffic to moan about.
Air quality in one Lewes street ( so I understand) is quite poor but understandable due to narrow street, high buildings and regular traffic. That quality is still far better than the average London street.
That you should feel the need to come on here with a Pedroesque diatribe because you had to spend a whole day in Lewes working is quite beyond me.
You seem a bit of a d I c k head
On Tue 14 Nov at 6:21pm A Person wrote:
Sadly crossing the road at any time is a nightmare.

I drove through Heathfield the other day. There are THREE pelican crossings on the High Street, one at either end and one in the middle. But the county town of East Sussex has three zebra crossings (one of which is a death trap because everyone parks on the approach zig-zags) and one Pelican (at Bell Lane). The protected crossing (at the junction of Fisher St/Station Road with the High St) is a death trap because of the numbers illegally turning right. There are some controlled lights down at the precinct but no-one takes any notice of them, strolling across while examining their phones. And of course there are the vehicles hurtling along the pedestrianised Cliffe High St.

All in all it's a bloody miracle there are any living residents left...
On Tue 14 Nov at 6:39pm Gobsmacked wrote:
Hamid Barr
But you're not living in London are you??? You're living in a tiny town set amongst the Downs in Sussex! So that is a ridiculous comparison to make!!! I'm well aware there is hugh pollution levels on the roads in London. But one wouldn't expect there to be such noisy non stop traffic with heavy pollution in a place such as Lewes. It's hilarious to even use London as a worse example! Of course London is worse! Doh!
As I say, I visit Lewes reasonably regularly, a few times a year perhaps, and find it to always be the case. Today seemed no worse than usual.
On Tue 14 Nov at 6:45pm Pedro wrote:
Hamid Barr can't survive one day without mentioning my name. Love it.
On Tue 14 Nov at 7:16pm Hamid Barr wrote:
Yes of course you do
On Tue 14 Nov at 7:26pm Gobsmacked wrote:
You do realise that all the traffic on the A27 (the major road that travels along the edge of your town) emits pollution that travels through the air in to the town itself? Add to that the horrendous town traffic itself!
It's as though you all think that because you can't see, hear or feel the pollution that it's not there!
On Tue 14 Nov at 7:33pm Bronzy wrote:
I agree with gobsmacked. It's all the kids I feel sorry for, having to breathe it in all day. Likely to get breathing problems in later life. Poor things have no say in the matter. I was reading recently in a newspaper about how the amount of UK deaths caused each year by traffic pollution is rising.
I agree, don't know why anyone would live in Lewes cos of traffic - so noisy and so dangerous to occupants of the town.
On Tue 14 Nov at 7:51pm Red Herring wrote:
Hi gobsmacked. Nice similar anti-Lewes post under the name of Mark.
What happened - did you have a bad experience sweetheart?

Check it out here »
On Tue 14 Nov at 8:20pm inthegutter wrote:
Of course, give it ~20 years and vehicle pollution will be a thing of past as we move to electric vehicles.
On Tue 14 Nov at 9:13pm Folkstone to Honiton wrote:
trunk road will still be solid in 20 years albeit with electric vehicles.
On Tue 14 Nov at 9:22pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
If any of you think Lewes iscongested and polluted you really do need to get out in the field a bit more. Try worthing, Rustington, roads to Tunbridge Wells..... Lewes ain't so bad
On Tue 14 Nov at 9:46pm Rhett wrote:
Frankly, my dears, we are FULL !!
On Wed 15 Nov at 6:58am Gosmacked wrote:
Come off it, Lewes is much much smaller than Worthing and Tunbridge Wells! You can't compare.
I'm talking about the VOLUME of traffic compared to the SIZE of your small town.
Even locals on here seem to agree with me in this thread.
On Wed 15 Nov at 9:09am notforthelikesofus wrote:
If there was a helpful train line that connected Brighton via Lewes up to Uckfield and beyond that might help reduce the traffic, I wonder why there isn't? There's even some wasted land near the river that a railway could go on!
On Wed 15 Nov at 9:57am schoolmum wrote:
I actually agree. I don't go to Lewes often but when I do I am literally choking from the car fumes. It's due to the fact that it is a small town with narrow streets, not suited to modern day traffic, like all other small historical towns/villages. Slow moving cars, stopping and starting, makes it worse. Pedestrianisation and a much better (and cheaper) public transport system are needed here.
On Wed 15 Nov at 11:19am Butler wrote:
I hate you Rhett
On Wed 15 Nov at 12:01pm Scarlett O'Hara wrote:
You leave my Rhett alone.
On Wed 15 Nov at 12:25pm @Gobsmacked wrote:
Which magical place do you live, no doubt somewhere the air is full of wild meadow scent and the nearest roads is 15 miles away, how do you get in and out of this picturesque location, by unicorn?
On Wed 15 Nov at 1:13pm @Pedro wrote:
"Mass Exodus" is a meaningless phrase. An Exodus is where everyone leaves, it has now degrees. You can't have a big exodus or a small exodus or a mass exodus. You either have an exodus or you don't.
Misues of that phrase bugs me even more than people using "literally" when they mean "Figuratively" as so mant are wont to do these days.
On Wed 15 Nov at 1:31pm SHS wrote:
Is Exodus somebody who lives in Lewes? Or a divine being?
Is 'now degrees' a special term for a particular temperature or angle?
What are 'misues', a new type of tissue?
Who is Figuratively?
What's a 'mant'?
On Wed 15 Nov at 2:22pm Pedestrian wrote:

I wish they would pedestrianise the high st, school hill etc. Lots of traffic is probably local anyway and this would help reduce it. Let's make Lewes a greener place, more trees, less cars.
Trouble is local politicians have no vision and love their cars too much...
On Wed 15 Nov at 2:23pm Paddy O' Hara wrote:
There'll be no movement at all when we gets digging up the 27 LOf'inL
On Wed 15 Nov at 2:41pm What's your point? wrote:
Your message seeks neither to educate nor improve . Just a miserable rant about a small town you have to occasionally visit. Either do something to help or keep quiet or don't come back. Your whinging is tiresome and deeply unhelpful.
On Wed 15 Nov at 4:39pm Clifford wrote:
I wish they'd knock down the 'modern' buildings in the precinct, re-open it to traffic, rebuild the railway bridge (and re-open the line). Pedestrianisation is always the death of an area or a street.
On Wed 15 Nov at 4:42pm Gobsmacked wrote:
You may find my post tiresome and unhelpful, but you can't disagree with me can you.
In my view, Lewes is as bad as living in Newhaven where the main roads rip through the town in a similar awful 1 way system that billows out pollution. But at least Newhaven is cheap. I cannot see the appeal of Lewes town, I really can't.
Yes I do live on the edge of a large meadow!
On Wed 15 Nov at 5:44pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
If they pedestrianised the High Street, there'd be a lot more traffic through Wallands and Southover.
I'm not sure the residents would like that.

On Wed 15 Nov at 9:37pm Time machine wrote:
Has gobsmacked just travelled here from 1950?
On Thu 16 Nov at 8:48am Chaff and gin wrote:

The closing of the roads to traffic will mean less traffic not more. Seriously, under your argument building more roads means less traffic which has been shown to be completely wrong.
Instead follow Oxford's example and make Lewes centre car free by 2020. No car parks, no excuses for car-fetishists to use their car to drive three mins to buy a loaf of bread. Better for everyone.

On Fri 17 Nov at 10:24am Gasping wrote:
I'm a local who grew up in Lewes and I agree with gobsmacked... we just have too much traffic, driving too fast through our town! East Sussex County Council are concerned with protecting local villages, not the towns. But a lot of people live in the local towns and pay a lot of council tax so I think we should have some say in how traffic is managed both within, and passing through our town.Pollution is a serious health issue and it's not going anywhere while traffic just keeps increasing on our roads. Also, it's justnot very pleasant to have to deal with selfish drivers every time you walk into town. One person in a polluting tin box shouldn't be more important than one local pedestrian paying council tax...

On Fri 17 Nov at 3:23pm Observer wrote:
I was once told by someone in the know that the air quality in Fisher Street, Station Street and by the Prison crossroads is regularly below legal safety limits.
On Fri 17 Nov at 5:05pm Cough wrote:
@Observer. The centre of Lewes has been an Air Quality Management Zone for a while. It is often in excess of legal limits for Nitrogen Oxide and particulates. One of the reasons why you will see no pedestrian crossings is the fear that these only increase pollution by slowing traffic up. I live near this area and am beginning, after 20 years in Lewes, to think about moving. It stinks, it is noisy at almost all hours and there is now gridlock at many times in the day caused by through traffic. Pedestrians cling to narrow pavements as buses and cars pass close by. This is a fine town but someone really really needs to get a grip on this. If cities such as Oxford and Oslo can do it, why can't we?
On Mon 20 Nov at 9:43am Observer wrote:
Two reasons:
(1) Town is full of people like ACT, who despite having otherwise liberal views, still think the car is king and everything else should bow down before it
(2) It's not big enough to get the attention, unlike Oxford or Oslo. Seaford matters more to the two big councils, particularly given that it has more marginal seats. Lewes Town never has and never will vote Tory, so why bother with it?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Lewes pottery 75:136
Lewes pottery

What’s a “copper”, have read about them in the history books. Were know by some as guardians of the peace, not sure what that... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The Lewes Forum is one of the many great things about Lewes
Nina

Job search

Advertise a Job
for £10

Upload your CV