Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Orwellian newspeak

On Wed 13 Sep at 10:25am indigenous wrote:
Unemployment down - just announced today. Wages down - just announced today. The truth: double speak for zero hour contracts and rampant job insecurity, the continuing creating and massaging of a compliant powerless work force to be used at whim.
A 60% rise in homelessness since 2011 announced today. Largely due to welfare 'reform'. Government says they are doing all they can.
Constant litany of horrors about what little is left of the National Health SERVICE. Constant drip of bland make believe from Hunt that all is well.
We're at the mercy of a government and all its rich patrons - billionaires, multi national companies, the arms industry, press barons etc etc hell bent on dismantling the state and all its protections that it used to offer to ordinary people. The rich are enriching themselves at our expense by the selling and buying of public assets and services. it is a feeding frenzy.

On Wed 13 Sep at 12:04pm Mark wrote:
Excellent. I wonder whether there will be a cogent response from a Tory voter.
On Wed 13 Sep at 12:11pm Tell me wrote:
And how is this affecting you in cosy, twee Lewes?
On Wed 13 Sep at 12:16pm Pedro wrote:
The hurricanes and tropical storms in the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico didn't directly impact "twee Lewes", but people are affected by the human tragedy of events not local to us, even complete strangers. (I guess it will hit fuel prices though for those only concerned about their own wellbeing)
On Wed 13 Sep at 12:20pm Tell Me wrote:
What's the answer then?
Posting about it on a small town forum, obviously
On Wed 13 Sep at 12:27pm Pedro wrote:
Who said the solution was posting on a forum? But its perfectly reasonable to discuss this here, and in addition anywhere else where people wish to discuss it.

Its a political thread, and is all in purple (and hidden by default) to appease people like you who moan about the existence of these threads on this forum. Seems even that reasonable compromise is just not good enough for you. I guess nothing satisfies you. I'm sorry you feel this way.
On Wed 13 Sep at 12:32pm The Greek wrote:
Tory cuts.
On Wed 13 Sep at 8:09pm @Tell Me wrote:
You really think nobody in Lewes is affected by these issues?
On Wed 13 Sep at 11:37pm Tell Me wrote:
Don't be daft of course their not unless it's a lifestyle choice
If you can't make something of your life in Lewes then you're not going to do it anywhere.
On Thu 14 Sep at 8:48am isis wrote:
'Tell me', there are busy food banks in this town used often by the working poor.
There are elderly folk who may own their own homes but can't afford to keep them in good repair. Many people hide their poverty because of good old fashioned pride.
The crazy astronomical prices of some goods in our cloned High street are an insult to the many struggling on low incomes. It's a parallel universe.
Your statement shows a provocative ignorance about what is actually happening in Lewes. You must be living in some cosy bubble.
However what you say does holds some credence since the population of Lewes is slowly being sanitised; the young and poor have no hope of affording homes in this middle class utopia. The LDC, LTC and ESCC have over the years failed dismally to retain community cohesion through decent housing.
On Thu 14 Sep at 9:11am Tudor wrote:
Apparently if you don't have a smart phone, nike trainers and an xbox then you are poor.
Many so-called poor people have all the latest tech and choose to spend their money and that rather than food and bills.
On Thu 14 Sep at 1:40pm Pedro wrote:
@ tudor. This may apply to some people/families, but have you actually done any extensive research on this beyond seeing/reading it in the gutter tabloids or some "light-hearted" fly on the wall channel 4 or 5 documentary? Otherwise, I think you are in denial about the financial issues some people genuinely face in this country, and find it eases your guilt to just demonise bad examples who garner attention for the wrong reasons.
On Thu 14 Sep at 2:04pm Shove off dfl wrote:
Why not try getting a life and actually living instead of posting the same old pessimistic cobblers.
On Thu 14 Sep at 2:30pm Pedro wrote:
@ above. Who are you directing that at? DFL's? Me? Tudor? I'm assuming its Tudor, since he/she wrote the most pessimistic post. Perhaps you should confirm though.
On Thu 14 Sep at 8:37pm Clifford wrote:
The Greek wrote: 'Tory cuts.'

The Lib Dems were propping up the Tories from 2010 to 2015 and were very enthusiastic about the austerity policies that are behind these things. They try to pretend they weren't now, especially that old rogue Cable who is now saying the opposite of everything he said when he was a minister.
On Fri 15 Sep at 10:00am isis wrote:
Agree about that old rogue Cable, Clifford. Funny how we don't remember his corrupt practices that were revealed in the recent past. He's back to protect the neoliberal establishment.
I see Rees - Mogg has described today the rapid increase of food banks as a 'rather uplifting' show of charity...'it shows what a good compassionate country we are....'
So, we are meant to feed the poor from our random charitable urges as they continue to suffer from a cruel system that seeks to manipulate society in order to enrich and empower the few. the UK is not at present a 'good compassionate country'. It is a state torn apart by the imposition of a political credo that creates division, demonises the poor and continues to privatise and profit from all public services and property, all those checks and balances that protect the vulnerable and provide everyone with dignity - and a safety blanket.
We have become a cruel society reduced to relying on the largesse of the haves, the odd tossed can of mock caviar, in order to survive. Where is the kindness: all lost in this cynical grasp for power in order to fuel private wealth.
On Fri 15 Sep at 10:30am Mark wrote:
Re-education of the nation has been quite successful. I can remember what people's attitudes were like in early 80s. Back then people generally accepted that it was a natural and acceptable choice to quit your job and sign on. It would be viewed as an indication that your employer was underpaying. The dole was seen as being a valuable safety net in terms of ensuring that employers paid a living wage. And the dole did back in those days. All it took was about 5000 trashy, made-up, channel 5 documentaries to eradicate any vestiges of concern for the unemployed/vulnerable.
On Fri 15 Sep at 10:46am Mark wrote:
... And, no cogent comments from any Tories
On Fri 15 Sep at 2:48pm Tory wrote:
How about this....get stuffed you liberal lefty wimp..
On Fri 15 Sep at 3:11pm Mark wrote:
No Tory. I think that's not really a comment that sheds all that much light on the issue but do please keep up the effort. Do be warned though that the last election showed your numbers are dwindling. Only the rather blunt are still buying into the idea that the Tories support anything beyond neo-liberalism.
On Fri 15 Sep at 3:44pm Tory wrote:
Love to chat with you at a dinner party.....not
On Fri 15 Sep at 4:25pm Mark wrote:
I have an excellent comeback for that but it will remain unexpressed. Mustn't be unpleasant.
On Fri 15 Sep at 5:08pm Pedro wrote:
I'm pretty confident Mark could find better dinner party conversations than having one with a man-child who uses early 1990s Wayne's World sarcasm references as comebacks.
On Fri 15 Sep at 5:22pm Hamid Barr wrote:
@Mark - you're always unpleasant
On Fri 15 Sep at 6:18pm Tory wrote:
Just imagine a dinner party with mark and his botty chum pedo. Hellish....
On Fri 15 Sep at 10:46pm techo wrote:
What unimaginative, derivative trolling. it always it happens when a nerve is touched. The aim of course is to break the thread... it's an attempt to scupper what's left of free speech.
On Sat 16 Sep at 10:10am Mark wrote:
I'm out. Rather disturbing schoolboyish bullying stuff.
On Sat 16 Sep at 10:48am Tory bully wrote:
Wimp
On Sat 16 Sep at 10:52am Hamid Barr wrote:
No surprise there - you constantly insult people on here with your anti Tory bile
Then seek refuge in the "bullying" excuse
Coward
On Sat 16 Sep at 1:55pm Pedro wrote:
It seems Mark is raising and expressing concerns about tory policies (supported with evidence), but not personally attacking any individuals with petty juvenile remarks. Seems to me a far more honourable pursuit. Evidence and fact based arguing is far more effective and damaging than daft personal abuse, as resorting to the latter is a tacit admission that they have run out of reasonable responses.
On Sat 16 Sep at 3:00pm Pedroo wrote:
Blah blah self righteous blah blah blah blah me me blah blah

6 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys 40:137
Harveys

T shirts now available just google 'I love Pedro t-shirt'. I've got mine

more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa