Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Fresh Bread

On Wed 13 Sep at 7:33pm Sparkle wrote:
What a hilarious thread Fresh Bread was, I've only just read it and laughed all the way through.
What a dullard justaparent sounds, good grief her 2 lunch guests must have been bored witless after sitting through her monotonous conversation skills.
On Wed 13 Sep at 7:40pm Rodge wrote:
.......and with a loaf of bread each, I guess a bit of bloating and indigestion.
On Wed 13 Sep at 7:59pm Editrix wrote:
You're honestly resurrecting that thread? Someone asked a simple question but because she was inviting people to lunch she must have been a DFL, since obviously the concept of having people over is alien to locals. Only in Lewes could a thread about bread be skewed into the vitriolic disgust locals have for people who came from a town a single, solitary hour away on the train. The genuinely hilarious thing is how the "indigenous" people of this town can't stop flipping out of their minuscule minds because things aren't exactly the way they were when their granddads were lads.
On Wed 13 Sep at 9:47pm indigenous wrote:
Have you no idea 'Editrex' (whatever that indulgent title may mean) about the alive spirit of this community, honed over time, that has often had to fight against the odds. It is not necessarily politically correct in your terms but it has enabled people in this town to live in harmony, with support systems in place; it has also created a particular air and culture. There is in Lewes still a network of honour and decency.
Its by product is what probably attracted people like you to come and live in this town in the first place. However what comes trailing in your wake is all the myth making, money making pretentious nonsense that destroys the very thing that attracted you in the first place.
That 'solitary hour away' on the train is hardly the point. Or rather it is - we are not a suburb of a metropolis. We're not talking geographical distance here but rather a defiant deep sense of community that has all but been killed by the parasitical, individualistic, selfish inclinations of people like yourself.
How dare you refer to 'miniscule' minds. The gritty Lewes that I know is peopled by shrewd intelligent people who are fighting against all the odds to hold on to their culture and their way of life.
It doesn't take much imagination to understand how the nature of Lewes is being eroded. A way of life is built up over centuries. Coming into an established community means that you should listen and learn, not deride - and then finally contribute. 'Ownership' is not automatic.
Basically you are commodifying this town. I hope you are resisted despite money and class barriers making that all but impossible.
It is unbelievably sad and I wish you had the imagination to see it.
On Wed 13 Sep at 9:55pm Observer wrote:
Stop it - I'm swelling up here at the thought of this unique, brave town; unique in its humanity; unique in its community. Basically superior to everywhere else, but threatened by the invading hordes of gentrifiers.
Because nowhere else - literally nowhere else - faces these problems.
Let's ignore the fact that people have been commuting to London, or moving here from there, since the Victorian era.
On Wed 13 Sep at 10:20pm Redballs wrote:
Editrex
Looks like someone got Druv!!!!
On Wed 13 Sep at 10:27pm Observer wrote:
On a serious note, though, I do think some old-school Lewesians have a tendency to attribute all change, all aspects of the modern world, to the influence of outsiders. Sometimes it's just, well, the world changes, and it's changing particularly fast at the moment because of the internet, among other things.
I do find it odd, though, this idea that there is some sort of homogenous "community" that has been preserved in aspic for hundreds of years and is only now being disrupted by evil outsiders.
On Wed 13 Sep at 10:34pm Tom Paine wrote:
'The gritty Lewes that I know'? Dear God.
On Wed 13 Sep at 11:05pm Observer wrote:
Tom Paine? Bloody DFL disrupting our community with his trendy ideas. Rights of man? Keep it in hackney mate.
On Wed 13 Sep at 11:49pm Bert wrote:
@ Sparkle I think in-bred is the word they've been seeking all along.
On Thu 14 Sep at 7:25am Nitty Gritty wrote:
Artisan bread is gritty - it's stoneground.
On Thu 14 Sep at 9:54am northern soul wrote:
Gritty town?? Hard times?? Against the odds??? Soft southern sh*tes!!
On Thu 14 Sep at 11:42am Welshy wrote:
I realise Lewes is not the middle class bubble it can sometimes appear, but having grown up in the valleys I don't think you lot, even the hardened long-term Landport / Abergavenny family has any idea what "gritty" or "against the odds" really means, or what it is like to have your community really destroyed.

On Thu 14 Sep at 3:11pm @Welshy wrote:
I grew up in Croydon in the 70's, you think the Valley has changed go to Croydon it's beyond recognition.
On Thu 14 Sep at 3:24pm shabba wrote:
Croydon has improved and Welsh valleys have got worse tho amirite?

we're embarrassing ourselves a bit with all this talk of a being special and having to fight to keep our Way of Life against the oppression of outsiders. stuff changes, deal with it
On Thu 14 Sep at 4:44pm @Shabba wrote:
"Croydon has improved", serious question, on what level has it improved?
As a child I could walk the street, walk to school alone, traffic was reasonable, property prices reasonable, schools achieved good grades, basically it was the very outskirts of London, half in the green belt, half out of it.
Now it's just another suburb endlessly connected to all the other suburbs, I for one wouldn't pick it over Lewes (or the Beautiful Welsh Valleys where there is a high chance I will retire to one day).
On Thu 14 Sep at 4:52pm shabba wrote:
Was talking about opportunity to make your way in life. The welsh valleys have been decimated by closure of industry etc etc. Lots of lovely places you can settle down and retire if you already have money but no hope for young people or families who were born there to make their way in life. It's hard times there.
If you grow up in Croydon you are spitting distance from London and all the opportunities that come with it. If you miss the green spaces etc you can get a job and move 20 miles. No jobs in the valleys to start with
On Thu 14 Sep at 5:30pm @Shabba wrote:
I work in IT, everything I do is done remotely.
I always assumed I could do that from the Valleys as easily as London or Lewes.
On Thu 14 Sep at 6:53pm Ghost of Maggie wrote:
Just rejoice and be thankful that we cleared up the valleys and grassed all those slag heaps. £millions were spent on the roads there, and sports stadia built. Kind regards.
On Thu 14 Sep at 6:56pm Editrix wrote:
@Shabba, you'll have to hope that the "indigenous" folk of the valleys are less anti interloper than the over zealous lot here who appear to advocate that no one ever leave their home town (which is how people end up married to their cousins; just look at certain scary parts of America for proof of that). You're right, the talk of the Lewesian struggle is embarrassing- I think some people on here have mistaken the Pells for The Projects.
On Fri 15 Sep at 7:44am Nancy wrote:
I've only been in Lewes 80% of my life so to many who don't understand attitude is more important than place of birth I'm still a disgusting DFL I'm sure, even though I've never lived in London. I find it odd how the town has changed though. ASK used to be a pound shop for example. Some change is good, in some ways Lewes is better, but not all of it. That said if the arrival of a few chains means I can go into town and buy things and not feel excluded by lack of wealth to spend hundreds of pounds on a new coat then I'll welcome them.
On Fri 15 Sep at 9:31am indigenous wrote:
Nancy you have put your finger on it; it is attitude. It's the sense of entitlement and a complete misunderstanding about the nature of a close long standing community that upsets. It a feeling that the town has been taken over. And of course many newcomers are sensitive to this. However some do display an arrogant ignorance of any possibility that some people may not share their values or life style and aspiration, and that they may offend.
The town has changed both because of this difference in taste
and also with the influx of easy money. The shame is that the 'realness' of a place can so easily be destroyed.
At least the buildings are protected even though they may suffer the temporary indignity of 'facadism' currently illustrated by the chain with
with its gnomic pretentious name of 'Cote'. No sense of place there.
On Fri 15 Sep at 10:23am bobobob wrote:
@nancy, that takes me back! Was it called Ransoms? Remember going round there as a kid poking at all sorts of stuff, thanks for that
On Fri 15 Sep at 12:00pm Observer wrote:
"the temporary indignity of 'facadism'"
Lewes is covered with Georgian facades over Victorian buildings. Hardly anything new.
Indigenous, I think there is some truth to waht you are saying, in that I think the "professional" classes increasingly find it hard to understand the "working classes" - it's the anywheres v somewheres arguments I've heard from David Goodhart. But it's all around the country and not unique to Lewes, which has always had a big middle class with ties to London, whatever some might think.
I also think you're exagerrating things and a lot of these things are in the eye of the beholder.
On Fri 15 Sep at 12:01pm Observer wrote:
I did of course mean Georgian facades stuck over medieval buildings.
On Fri 15 Sep at 2:51pm Blimey O'Reilly wrote:
Indigenous, what a load of bollo. You make me feel vaguely embarrassed to be indigenous myself.
On Fri 15 Sep at 7:49pm Elsie wrote:
I remember when it was McCartney Stewart's . I used to run to the back of the shop to have a go on the rocking horse , while my mum looked at the Ladybird clothes .

On Sun 17 Sep at 2:59pm Tanner wrote:
You could get 2 pairs of shorts for 6d.

9 posts left

Your response

Reserve your name
You must log in to use that name
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The John Harvey Tavern 121:137
The John Harvey Tavern

T shirts now available just google 'I love Pedro t-shirt'. I've got mine

more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the smell of parafin that hangs around the town during the bonfire season.
Me